https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/33794-first_hand_experience_with_trados_7.html

First (hand) experience with Trados 7
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 11:06
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jun 25, 2005

Actually it is just an experience with the installation: I do not yet have FL7 running. Also, this posting should not be understood as applying to everybody - I can just report on the basis of my and only my experience, in the hope it's useful.

Being a "normal" user, I downloaded everything, but when it came to documentation, I did the usual thing - I read it diagonally. So maybe the pitfalls I fell in have been mentioned there.

Status as of this moment: I am back at 6.
... See more
Actually it is just an experience with the installation: I do not yet have FL7 running. Also, this posting should not be understood as applying to everybody - I can just report on the basis of my and only my experience, in the hope it's useful.

Being a "normal" user, I downloaded everything, but when it came to documentation, I did the usual thing - I read it diagonally. So maybe the pitfalls I fell in have been mentioned there.

Status as of this moment: I am back at 6.5, waiting for some information from TRADOS service desk. Here's the story up until now:

i) after installing the #7 and providing the place, where my license (6.5 FL) is to be found, the program (or the installation - I dont remember any more) asked for MultiTerm 7 installation. I concurred and allowed the installation to deinstall MultiTerm 6.5 to get the (evidently incompatible) #7 onto the system.

Fine

ii) starting the new version of the workbench came up with the unpleasant surprise ("translation memory too big - running in demo mode"). Huh?! Opening the about menu entry confirmed: demo mode - even if all the 6.5 entries showed up in the listing -. I sent a querry to the Trados desk (and they came back within 24 hrs to ask for the license file - which I sent Friday night, so nothing new on this front).

Summary: FL7 and MT7 installed, but for the moment I can use them (Friday night).

iii) This morning I started with FL6.5 the ongoing work and - bang! - the pretranslation did not work anymore. Reason: MultiTerm connection is gone. Try to reconnect via Terminology recognition options: all empty. The workbench does not like it at all - comes up now and then with a suggestion we send some mail to Microsoft...

So

iv) I deinstall MT7 and install back MT6.5. Does not help either. I deinstall FL7. Does not help either. I install back FL6.5. Get the question about the license file and answer it. And I am back to normal. Normal 6.5

Few points:

i) I have not read the documentation properly. I am no good for small print and so is the majority of the customers I would assume.

ii) Trados responded quickly. I am sure they will have me up and running soon.

iii) make sure you have backups and the installation files for the previous versions - in worst case you can download them again.

iv) why playing early bird? I have the gut feeling that the upgrade includes significant improvements. It suffices to realize that "rtf filter dead, office 2003 rules OK".

Vito reporting from the FL7 scene

PS - after some thinking - the most plausible reason for the situation would be, that I am falsely assuming the FL65 license will suffice. The proof would be in an (so far overlooked) license.lic file sent with one of the mails from Trados. I checked and found nothing.

[Edited at 2005-06-25 09:48]
Collapse

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Attach External Termbases Jun 25, 2005

Vito Smolej wrote:
iii) This morning I started with FL6.5 the ongoing work and - bang! - the pretranslation did not work anymore. Reason: MultiTerm connection is gone. Try to reconnect via Terminology recognition options: all empty.

Hello!

I sympathise with you in this situation. I haven't tried the Trados 7-Pack, but with regard to point iii), have your tried attaching your existing termbases from their location(s) to the newly installed Multiterm (Attach External Termbase)? You will be asked to specify the path for each termbase you are connecting and to give it a name.

BR,

Vesna

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
With MT7 version only there was no way to attach any termbase Jun 25, 2005

Vesna Zivcic wrote:

...I haven't tried the Trados 7-Pack, but with regard to point iii), have your tried attaching your existing termbases from their location(s) to the newly installed Multiterm (Attach External Termbase)? ...

Hi Vesna:

I definitely tried to attach them - just to get the workbench working - but all (literally all) textboxes and dropdowns in the interface were, well, dead ie empty. I could not for instance decide which MultiTerm version to use, because neither MultiTerm iX nor Tradosa 5 were available. Of course, the only one available was MultiTerm 7 - which FL6.5 & MT6.5 never heard of.

I am pretty sure it all hangs on some misterious registry entries but, hey, they're none of my business - I'm just a customer;)

In the rearview mirror everything is so elegantly simple - like the Catch 22;) -
regards i Bog

smo

[Edited at 2005-06-25 09:58]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Did you upgrade your license? Jun 25, 2005

Hi Vito,
PS - after some thinking - the most plausible reason for the situation would be, that I am falsely assuming the FL65 license will suffice. The proof would be in an (so far overlooked) license.lic file sent with one of the mails from Trados. I checked and found nothing.

I wouldn't expect you to find any - license files are never sent by e-mail, but generated by yourself (that's because a license file is linked to the hardware address of your motherboard or your network card).

Did you upgrade your FL6.5 license to FL7.0, or generate a new license file?

Cheers, Ralf

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
It was my own fault - here's the story for the laughs Jun 25, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Did you upgrade your FL6.5 license to FL7.0, or generate a new license file?
Cheers, Ralf

I'll be honest, Ralf, even if it does not come easy: the answer is a no (the first time around) - here's the story

Let's do it again, but with due dilligence.

1. starting to install FT7. Question comes up "Choose the license type you will use; hardware key, softkey license, or none". I decide for "I am using a sofkey license file"

If your TRADOS software uses softkey protection, all license information is stored in a license file (*.lic). To obtain a license file for your TRADOS software, follow the instructions you have received from TRADOS.

2. Huh? instructions?... (guilt creeping in ... - let's check those PDFs...) TRADOS 7 Freelance License installation page 6: "dowloading the License File" - Gosh, I knew it, I blew it (this alliteration was unintended...). Let's go visit Customer Center / Product download for Trados 7 Freelance.

3. There it is: The red text I have not read the first time around:

Important! Your TRADOS 7 Freelance software requires a softkey license to work in full mode. Click the License Keys link below
and you will be re-directed to the page from where you can download your license.

If you purchased TRADOS 7 Freelance during the Early Bird campaign, your license is already compatible with TRADOS 7 Freelance.

and below it the License key field (to my defense, the field is arial 8 cyan on white background, but the red text is VERY red, so no excuses)

4. Here it is :"Qty 1 - TRADOS 7 Freelance (Upgr TRADOS 6.5 Softkey Users)" license

My ears are burning, but at least I hope I did not cause any damage. And if you all had a good laugh - I'm pleased. Message? RTFM. And, it is doable - just set aside half an hour of time and activate the "positive attitude" switch.

Regards

vito

PS: now let's see about that MT7 problem - where's the documentation for upgraders?

[Edited at 2005-06-25 17:22]

It works as it should the first time around.

[Edited at 2005-06-25 17:59]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First (hand) experience with Trados 7

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »