Mobile menu

(40007)Error reading TTXfile header:A leading surrogate character....
Thread poster: Attila Szabo

Attila Szabo  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:47
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jun 26, 2005

Hello everybody! I am facing a problem with TagEditor Freelance 6.5: When opening the file for the first time the following message appears: Failed to retrieve tag toolbar settings for plugin file format: No matching filter definition found. I click OK to this, then the message "No matching filter definition found" appears again. After clicking OK to this the file opens. THE REAL PROBLEM APPEARS after closing the file I was working on and wanting to re-open it: I receive the following message: (40007)Error reading TTXfile header:A leading surrogate character was not followed by a legal second character. The file does not open, so all the work seems lost.
Could anyone help me with this, please? Thank you so much.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which Trados version Jun 26, 2005

Hi,
Can you please indicate which version you're using (full version number - go to Help - About... to check)?

Thanks, Ralf

texlazar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Partial member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Same problem...need advice Feb 19, 2006

I have encountered the same problem. Some of you may have found a solution in the meantime--can you please give some advice on how to resolve this issue.
Thank you fo any idea! Karoly

AuréliaG
English to French
+ ...
problem filters definition Feb 19, 2009

Good afternoon everyone,

I have Trados 6 Freelance (6.00.309) and I have exactly the same problem as Attila Szabo.
When I try to open a ttx file I have the folloing message : "Failed to retrieve tag toolbar settings for plugin file format: No matching filter definition found" and later ""No matching filter definition found !" again

Then, after OK, I can open their ttx file but when I save my job and want to reopen I can't and the following message appears: (40007)Error reading TTXfile header:A leading surrogate character was not followed by a legal second character.
-> I tried several solutions :
Reinstall the software, Same message again
Ask for the Ini files to the translation agency, same message
I also read several articles of the onlinesupport of SDL but nothing worked

I can find the PluginFileFilterDefinitions.xml in C:\ProgramFiles\All Users\Application Data\SDL International\Filters. But here is what appears in it :

-
-
-

Is everything normal ? It seems there are few elements. Can I had some, which one and How can I do so ?

Furthermore when I try to open a Word, Excel or Power Point document in TagEditor I have the following message:
(80003): TagEditor is unable to open this document beacause the file type is not recognised.
-> I tried several solutions :
I tried as suggested in other posts to check the "TradosTAG XML workflow for Word .doc files" box but I don't have such a box in the Tools tab of Trados.

I know it's a whole bunch of questions !
Sorry for that and thank you very much for your help !

Best regards,
Aurélia

AuréliaG
English to French
+ ...
problem filters definition 2 Feb 19, 2009

Hello it's Aurélia again,

It seems the content of "PluginFileFilterDefinitions.xml" didn't appear so here it is :

Hi hope it will work this time. In order to be sure here it is without the < / and >

- xml version='1.0' -
- FilterDefinitions -
- Add filter definition file entries here, in the following format: -
-FilterDefinition>C:\SomeFolder\SomeFilterDefinition.xml -FilterDefinition -
- FilterDefinitions -

Thank you for your help

AG

Brochetrad  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Same problem again... Jun 12, 2009

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem as you have with Trados Freelance 6.5.2.417, especially when trying to translate ppt files. I often get this message "Failed to retrieve tag toolbar settings for plugin file format: no matching filter definition found!" and all the problems you described earlier.
So I went to the "PluginFileFilterDefinitions" file in Program files > Trados > T65 FL > TT and here is what I have:

-
-
-
-
PowerPoint_1_0_0_0.xml
Excel_1_0_0_0.xml

Which is, I think, quite limited!
How can I get the right filter definitions installed?

Thanks for your help!

mutarjem  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:47
English to Arabic
+ ...
Simple Solution, Final Fix Jun 30, 2009

Hi,

I have encountered the same problem and with a very simple solution you can get the file that does not want to work to open again.

1. Open the source document again (word, PPT, etc) in tageditor, and save to ttx.
2. Open this new TTX in notepad, and copy the whole header, till you reach the first sentence to be translated in the file. Just copy the part.
3. Open the corrupted TTX file that does not want to open in notepad, and select the same part in it and paste over it.

When you attempt to open the TTX file again, it should indeed work normally and you can clean it up and save the day.

Good luck.

Sam Ragab

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
It's well-known bug Jun 30, 2009

It's well-known bug in Trados 6.5 builds earlier than 6.5.5.
You can play with TTX file, save the header in separate file and then restore it, but the best way is to update your Trados to 6.5.5 build.

Winston Qiu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
(40007)Error reading TTXfile header:... Solution Oct 5, 2009

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

It's well-known bug in Trados 6.5 builds earlier than 6.5.5.
You can play with TTX file, save the header in separate file and then restore it, but the best way is to update your Trados to 6.5.5 build.

I met exactly the same problem today. I am using Trados 6.5 freelancer and TagEditor 6.5.1.
And thank to Wojciech Froelich's comments above, I played with the ttx file.
I opened the unworking ttx file in notepad and found there's missing header of "Body Raw" just ahead of "df Font=..." in the ttx header.
So I opened the original ttx file with notepad, and copied all the text ahead of "df Font=..." in the orignal ttx file, and replaced the header of unworking ttx file.

And I can open the unworking ttx file again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(40007)Error reading TTXfile header:A leading surrogate character....

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs