OLE/COM error - desperate!
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 26, 2005

Trados V. 6 won't allow me to clean up, says it can't convert becuase of an OLE/COM error

Naturally this happens for the first tiume ever when my back is against the wall:-(((

TIA:-)

Direct link Reply with quote

Christian Schoenberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:29
Member (2004)
Danish to English
+ ...
Just had the same problem one hour ago... Jun 26, 2005

Hi,

Wow, that is strange - I had exactly the same problem, for the first time ever, about one hour ago. (I am using 6.5.5).

This is how I resolved it: It was a pretty big Word file (some 290 pages with lots of pasted graphics from Adobe Acrobat).

(1) I split it into 7 files
(2) Saved them as RTF files
(3) Changed the file names to "01.rtf" ... "07.rtf".
(4) Reorganized my translation memory (i.e. File > Reorganise)
(5) Cleaned up the files separately.
(6) Reassembled them back into one big Word document.

I know, it is a pain... but it seems to work (at least for me).

Good luck,
Christian

P.S.: Oh, and I think I restarted my computer a couple of times to get rid of the temporary files.

[Edited at 2005-06-26 14:07]

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Use macro Jun 26, 2005

You didn't say what kind of file you were trying to clean up. If it was a Word document, you can clean it up using the tw4winClean.Main macro (Alt-F8). But make a backup copy of the file first, because the .BAK file won't be created automatically this way. Also, it won't be possible to update the TM.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all:-) Jun 27, 2005

Word, yes.

In the end I simply removed the 3 embedded graphs and that solved the problem....shame Trados manages to screw up more 'complex' files:-(

clarn  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:29
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you Aug 27, 2007

"You didn't say what kind of file you were trying to clean up. If it was a Word document, you can clean it up using the tw4winClean.Main macro (Alt-F8). But make a backup copy of the file first, because the .BAK file won't be created automatically this way. Also, it won't be possible to update the TM."

I think you just saved my bacon) I did just this, and it worked in an instant.

~Thanks a lot~

Eric Ash
United States
Local time: 20:29
Japanese to English
Thank You Hynek Palatin Mar 2, 2008

That macro tip just saved me a lot of pain!

I love this forum.

Paunitka  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Thanks! Oct 20, 2009

I'd like to thank Hynek as well - had the same problem and your advice spared me a lot of trouble

Ian Wood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 12:29
Japanese to English
+ ...
This saved me with a large Word file Oct 26, 2009

This was an absolute lifesaver cleaning up a 16MB (90page) word file containing lots of images. I tried the manually convert via the RTF route, but that created a 520MB!!!! rtf file. The macro trick worked a charm but didn't put spaces between sentences (they were absent in the original Japanese) so I needed to go through it afterward.
Anyway, I wish I knew about this earlier as I have had similar problems in the past.

Chris Lee
South Korea
Local time: 11:59
Korean to English
+ ...
This tip is the best. Nov 1, 2009

Neil Claridge wrote:

"You didn't say what kind of file you were trying to clean up. If it was a Word document, you can clean it up using the tw4winClean.Main macro (Alt-F8). But make a backup copy of the file first, because the .BAK file won't be created automatically this way. Also, it won't be possible to update the TM."

I think you just saved my bacon) I did just this, and it worked in an instant.

~Thanks a lot~

I had the same problem and this was the right tip.

Bea Geenen  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Great tip! Jan 29, 2010

Thank you so much for this tip - saved my day!

David Paul Samson
India
Local time: 08:59
English to Tamil
+ ...
OLE/COM error or the file name error Nov 30, 2010

If you are facing this problem while analysing or cleaning a word document, dont get panic, just safe the document as .rtf file and then go ahead cleaning or analysing. It will certainly solve your problems.

Maria Martins  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:29
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The macro tip is the best. Thanks! May 24, 2012

Hynek Palatin wrote:

You didn't say what kind of file you were trying to clean up. If it was a Word document, you can clean it up using the tw4winClean.Main macro (Alt-F8). But make a backup copy of the file first, because the .BAK file won't be created automatically this way. Also, it won't be possible to update the TM.

What a wonderful tip. I tried everything else, but there seemed to be some corrupt tables in the document...so the end result was far from perfect. I had a 280 page document and even if it was just a few parts that required cleaning, it would have been a pain to clean it manually, so thank you Hynek.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OLE/COM error - desperate!

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs