Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:04
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 27, 2005

Hello there!
Before I do anything wild and irreparable, which steps should I take to upgrade my Office version (from 97 to 2003)?
Should I uninstall Trados 6.5 and then install Office 2003 version or will the new version automatically recognise all the relevant Trados information (toolbars, etc.?)
I have read some forums concerning some sort of incompatibility between Trados freelance 6.5 and Office 2003, and I'm worried I might get stuck somewhere along the process....with
... See more
Hello there!
Before I do anything wild and irreparable, which steps should I take to upgrade my Office version (from 97 to 2003)?
Should I uninstall Trados 6.5 and then install Office 2003 version or will the new version automatically recognise all the relevant Trados information (toolbars, etc.?)
I have read some forums concerning some sort of incompatibility between Trados freelance 6.5 and Office 2003, and I'm worried I might get stuck somewhere along the process....with no escape!
(I have already saved all my TM on another hard-disk just in case, I imagine it is not necessary but better safe than sorry).
Any (easy) suggestions welcome Thanks in advance, DZ
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I'd worry about Windows ME, actually... Jun 27, 2005

Hi Daniela,
IMO there is no need to deinstall Trados, however, you will need to copy trados6.dot to the startup folder for Word 2003.

I'm not aware of any incompatibility between Office 2003 and Trados 6.5 (in fact, 6.5 was the first version to support Office 2003) - have you installed the latest patches (to build 441)?

In fact, what worries me is Windows ME - are you sure you want to stick with that operating system?

Best regards,
Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would strongly recommend upgrading to Windows XP first Jun 27, 2005

You can have Windows XP for slight above 100 Dollar, or even cheaper if you take the Home Edition, which is fully sufficient as far no networking is concerned.

Windows ME is considered to be one of the worsest operating systems released by Microsoft.

If you decide to upgrade to WinXP do not install it over your old system, but make a clean new installation.

Regards
Jerzy

Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Colombia
Local time: 04:04
English to Spanish
Do you have a good reason to upgrade? Jun 28, 2005

Daniela Zambrini wrote:

Hello there!
I have read some forums concerning some sort of incompatibility between Trados freelance 6.5 and Office 2003, and I'm worried I might get stuck somewhere along the process....with no escape!
(I have already saved all my TM on another hard-disk just in case, I imagine it is not necessary but better safe than sorry).
Any (easy) suggestions welcome Thanks in advance, DZ

Ciao Daniela.

Do you have a very, very good reason to switch?

There's no safe upgrade. I suggest that you do it in small steps, keeping a full backup of your hard disk each time, not just what you believe that are the important files. A separate HD and software such as Ghost is required. You erase the disk image only after a month of so of use with no issues, and start again with the next upgrade if deemed useful.

I have a very stable system running on W2000/Office 2000 and Trados 6.5 I will not upgrade until I get offered a lot of work that require upgrades. It's not just the money but the risk of downtime and aggravation.

Good luck.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-28 04:15]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would say she has at least two good reasons to upgrade Jun 28, 2005

Pablo Roufogalis wrote:
Do you have a very, very good reason to switch?

Well, Windows ME AND Office 97 are very good reasons to go for a better software. Office 97 may be very unstable.

There's no safe upgrade. I suggest that you do it in small steps, keeping a full backup of your hard disk each time, not just what you believe that are the important files. A separate HD and software such as Ghost is required. You erase the disk image only after a month of so of use with no issues, and start again with the next upgrade if deemed useful.

A very good advice, to follow on every upgrade and to use as a backup solution.

I have a very stable system running on W2000/Office 2000 and Trados 6.5 I will not upgrade until I get offered a lot of work that require upgrades. It's not just the money but the risk of downtime and aggravation.

Windows 2000 and Office 2000 are stable, what you definitely cannot say about systems running Office 97. I have not used Windows ME and switched form Win98 directly to Win2000, but Win98 was better than ME. So I do not wonder she wants to upgrade

Regards
Jerzy

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
No compatibility issues so far between Office 2003 and Trados 6.5 Jun 28, 2005

Hello there,
I upgraded last week to Office 2003 Standard and Trados 6.5 and it works all right. I just moved the Trados template to the Word start-up folder to avoid clicking the template in Templates and add-ins every time. This was part of a larger upgrade after formatting of my system partition, from WinXP SP1, Trados 5.5, DNS 7 and Office 2000 to WinXP SP2, Trados 6.5, DNS 8 and Office 2003. However I would also suggest that you upgrade to WinXP, as it is far more stable than Win Me.<
... See more
Hello there,
I upgraded last week to Office 2003 Standard and Trados 6.5 and it works all right. I just moved the Trados template to the Word start-up folder to avoid clicking the template in Templates and add-ins every time. This was part of a larger upgrade after formatting of my system partition, from WinXP SP1, Trados 5.5, DNS 7 and Office 2000 to WinXP SP2, Trados 6.5, DNS 8 and Office 2003. However I would also suggest that you upgrade to WinXP, as it is far more stable than Win Me.
Good luck,
Philippe
Collapse

Daniela Zambrini
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
only one reason to switch, really Jun 28, 2005

Hi, and thanks for replying so soon!

The only reason I have to switch from Office 97 to a more recent version is that I don't seem to be able to create xml files from excel 97 to be subsequently uploaded to Multiterm (no xml option in "save as"). I downloaded a few conversion tools but they really felt a bit too complicated for my standards so I thought I could make use of this feature in a more recent Office version.
There might me some other way, but all the manuals and "ho
... See more
Hi, and thanks for replying so soon!

The only reason I have to switch from Office 97 to a more recent version is that I don't seem to be able to create xml files from excel 97 to be subsequently uploaded to Multiterm (no xml option in "save as"). I downloaded a few conversion tools but they really felt a bit too complicated for my standards so I thought I could make use of this feature in a more recent Office version.
There might me some other way, but all the manuals and "howtos" refer to glossaries in xml (correct me if I'm wrong, please).

As for Windows ME not being stable, I guess I have been lucky until now, no crashes, no problems, everything has been running smoothly. I had no idea ME was considered to be the worst operating system released.

Thanks again, I'll wait a while for any further suggestions/comments before doing anything risky!

Ciao, DZ
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Office 97 is *really* outdated... Jun 28, 2005

Hi again,

Right and wrong.
The option to save as XML won't produce an import format that's consistent with MTiX - in fact, there's a converter (MT Convert) that does it for you. However, AFAIK you need Excel 2000 or higher to use that converter.

There might me some other way, but all the manuals and "howtos" refer to glossaries in xml (correct me if I'm wrong, please).

Correct - MTiX requires XML import files, but these need to be formatted exactly in line with the definitions in MTiX.

Best, Ralf

Daniela Zambrini
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Ralf (I'm still confused, though!) Jun 28, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,

Right and wrong.
The option to save as XML won't produce an import format that's consistent with MTiX - in fact, there's a converter (MT Convert) that does it for you. However, AFAIK you need Excel 2000 or higher to use that converter.

Correct - MTiX requires XML import files, but these need to be formatted exactly in line with the definitions in MTiX.

Best, Ralf

Ok, I don't seem to have MT Convert. However, I followed all the steps explained in http://www.proz.com/doc/149 and the format was (after much effort and trial and error!) exactly in line with the definitions in MTix, but when I got to the final step (saving the speadsheet) I was unable to because excel in Office 97 did not offer the "save as xml" option.
Maybe I should just find out more about MT Convert and save myself the hassle, I really thought that I could create a file with an importable format with a newer version of Office(I'm getting a bit confused and I hope I haven't gone off-topic now).
I am very grateful for your help, thanks again DZ

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What is your MultiTerm version? Jun 29, 2005

Hi again,
Ok, I don't seem to have MT Convert.

MT Convert has been a part of the standard MTiX installation since summer 2003 - which version of MTiX are you working on? (Full version number including the 'build number', please - go to Help - About... to find out.)

However, I followed all the steps explained in http://www.proz.com/doc/149 and the format was (after much effort and trial and error!) exactly in line with the definitions in MTix, but when I got to the final step (saving the speadsheet) I was unable to because excel in Office 97 did not offer the "save as xml" option.

No wonder you're confused: the import format described there is for MultiTerm 5.x - the MTiX format is much more complex.
Once again, the 'Save as XML' option in Excel won't help you in this context - you will need to use MT Convert (which probably applies that Excel function, but in a different manner.

Maybe I should just find out more about MT Convert and save myself the hassle, I really thought that I could create a file with an importable format with a newer version of Office

Not impossible, but really not worth the effort, given the existence of MT Convert.

Best, Ralf

Daniela Zambrini
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now I understand ... Jun 29, 2005

ok..now I understand, I was trying to follow the wrong instructions!
I checked my version of MT it is 6.01.209, and there I was convinced it was MT ix (just goes to show how I had never used Multiterm before, only Trados Freelance). That's why I kept getting stuck somewhere along the process!
So, besides changing my Office version (and my Operating System sooner or later according to some of the posts) I shall also have to update the CAT tool, unless I want to keep using my separat
... See more
ok..now I understand, I was trying to follow the wrong instructions!
I checked my version of MT it is 6.01.209, and there I was convinced it was MT ix (just goes to show how I had never used Multiterm before, only Trados Freelance). That's why I kept getting stuck somewhere along the process!
So, besides changing my Office version (and my Operating System sooner or later according to some of the posts) I shall also have to update the CAT tool, unless I want to keep using my separate old-fashioned but faithful glossaries.
Thanks again Ralf for being so helpful, ciao DZ
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
MTiX, but an old version Jun 30, 2005

Good morning, Daniela,
I checked my version of MT it is 6.01.209, and there I was convinced it was MT ix

It is - but it's the first version, which had significant shortcomings (including the inability to convert Excel data).

Given that you're using T6.5, you may have received a later version as part of the installation pack - if not, contact Trados.

Best, Ralf

Daniela Zambrini
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll check with trados Jul 1, 2005

Sooooo many muddled up files and updates to search through, so if I can't find it I'll check with trados.
Thanks, have a nice week-end

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From Windows ME +Office 97 + Trados 6.5 Freelance to Office 2003

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »