Thread poster: Francesca Baroni
Francesca Baroni
Francesca Baroni  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:48
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 28, 2005

Dear Colleagues,

a customer of mine has just sent me 18 files which consist of Word table. Each Word table contains texts in 5 languages. According to the customer I should delete the languages I am not working with, and export my language pairs in a new TM. How is it possible? How can I do it? A colleague told me to do it with Alignement, but they are 18 files! However we tried with Align but we had no success.
Thank you for your help!
Francesca

[Edited at 2005-0
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

a customer of mine has just sent me 18 files which consist of Word table. Each Word table contains texts in 5 languages. According to the customer I should delete the languages I am not working with, and export my language pairs in a new TM. How is it possible? How can I do it? A colleague told me to do it with Alignement, but they are 18 files! However we tried with Align but we had no success.
Thank you for your help!
Francesca

[Edited at 2005-06-28 18:32]
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:48
German to English
+ ...
CSV converter Jun 28, 2005

You can use the CSV converter at:

http://www.maxprograms.com/

to convert a comma or tab-separated table to a tmx.

Delete the columns in the Word tables not required to leave two-column tables for the desired language pair. Convert the Word tables to two-column tab-separated text tables and save as .txt. Open the saved .txt with the converter as per the converter document
... See more
You can use the CSV converter at:

http://www.maxprograms.com/

to convert a comma or tab-separated table to a tmx.

Delete the columns in the Word tables not required to leave two-column tables for the desired language pair. Convert the Word tables to two-column tab-separated text tables and save as .txt. Open the saved .txt with the converter as per the converter documentation.

[Edited at 2005-06-29 08:47]
Collapse

Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
just an idea Jun 28, 2005

Could you copy and paste the word table contents into an Excel file and import this into MTiX?

Good luck,
Saskia

Francesca Baroni
Francesca Baroni  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already tried Jun 28, 2005

word-ing wrote:

Could you copy and paste the word table contents into an Excel file and import this into MTiX?

Good luck,
Saskia

Thank you, I have already tried but I had no success. The alignement was only between the 2 file names and I couldn't see the texts (I tried also to click twice on the file but nothing happened). I have a doubt: Shall I do the Align with Tag Editor?

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
A workaround Jun 28, 2005

To see the complete explanation, clic the button "Reply with quote"

1. Erase the columns with the languages that are not needed. That is, leave only two columns with the languages you want.

2. Convert the table to text as "Tabs separated"

3. Search and replace the Tabs also called ^t with

4. Put at the beginning of the document {0>

5. And at the end of the document

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
try this: Jun 28, 2005

Convert the Word table to text. You get the option to choose the delimter; tab is probably the most useful one. You should end up with a file with two text segments per line, one the source, the other one the translation, separated by a tab.

source[tab]translation
source[tab]translation etc.

Export an existing tm (with the same language pair configuration) as text to use as model. Re-create the same structure in Word. Copy the initial configuration lines at the be
... See more
Convert the Word table to text. You get the option to choose the delimter; tab is probably the most useful one. You should end up with a file with two text segments per line, one the source, the other one the translation, separated by a tab.

source[tab]translation
source[tab]translation etc.

Export an existing tm (with the same language pair configuration) as text to use as model. Re-create the same structure in Word. Copy the initial configuration lines at the beginning of the Word file.

After that, you should be able to insert the stuff that separates the individual translation units with Word's Replace function.

Each unit looks something like this:

28032005, 16:01:41
HKB
source
translation

Insert this section

HKB

at the beginning of each line (Replace "^p" with "^p
HKB
")

You'll get:

HKB
source[tab]translation

Now insert middle section by replacing "^t" with "^p".

You have now:

HKB
source
translation

Insert the final section () by replacing "^p" with
"^p^p", and you should get:

HKB
source
translation

HKB
source
translation
etc.

Save the file as text only (.txt) and import into a new tm in Trados.

You probably have to adjust the first and last TU manually. Since I didn't actually execute these steps, there might be a problem somewhere. But you get the idea, and I hope you can figure everything out.

I just took an example from one of my exported tms. I don't think you need anything more than just the bare bones:

[your respective language pairs, of course]

HTH!

Great! I just noticed that all the code parts are not properly displayed here. I'll e-mail you this text complete with code.

[Edited at 2005-06-28 22:07]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
word basic code for something similar Jun 28, 2005

Heike Behl, Ph.D. wrote:

Convert the Word table to text. ...

This may be completely useless, but wth: here's the world basic code to go the other direction that is from txt to a double columned word table:

Sub getTargTMtext()
Selection.WholeStory
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
.Text = "^p" ' target lang
.Replacement.Text = "^t"
.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
.Text = "^p"
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Text = "^p^#^#"
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Text = "^pALIGN!"
.Replacement.Text = ""
' etc etc
' .text & .replacement.text & .execute replace
End With

End Sub

This functionality (expanded export and import) and an in-situ TM spell checker is actually what I hope to find in Rel 7 - as yet I had no time yet to seriously poke around.

Btw I had to write all this c*ap just to spell check the target side (sigh).

Regards

[Edited at 2005-06-28 20:26]

Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
Translate first, then create a new TM Jun 28, 2005

baroni wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you for your help!
Francesca

[Edited at 2005-06-28 18:32]

Hi Baroni,

What I would do is, what your customer says, delete the languages you are not working with, translate the languages that you are.
Create a new TM (File-New), with your language combinations, call it your customers name.
You open that new TM, and go to Tools/Clean up where you add your 18 uncleaned files, select "update TM" and Clean up, and there you have your new TM.
To make double sure that you have updated your own TM, just import this customer TM into it.

Best regards

Anette

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Use T-Window for Excel Jun 28, 2005

Toledo's solution is the most efficient, I think. But here's another one, maybe easier for you. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

First delete the languages you don't need. You should end up with 18 Word tables, each having 2 columns.

Then create an empty Excel file and copy all 18 Word tables to this file. Just create one huge table with two columns - source and target.

Save the Excel file as tm.xls. This will be your backup. Than save the same file
... See more
Toledo's solution is the most efficient, I think. But here's another one, maybe easier for you. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

First delete the languages you don't need. You should end up with 18 Word tables, each having 2 columns.

Then create an empty Excel file and copy all 18 Word tables to this file. Just create one huge table with two columns - source and target.

Save the Excel file as tm.xls. This will be your backup. Than save the same file as tm_source.xls and then tm_target.xls. In tm_source.xls, delete the target column. In tm_target.xls, delete the source column.

Now you have two files with segments (source or target) only in column A. Close Excel. Use T-Window for Excel to align the files:

Open Workbench, close the current TM, change your username to "ALIGN!" (it will help you to differentiate the aligned segments from your own) and create an empty TM. Start T-Window for Excel and use the Align function. It works differently than WinAlign - no manual aligning, each source cell is simply aligned with the corresponding target cell in real time.

You are done. Don't forget to set your usual username in Workbench.

[Edited at 2005-06-28 22:22]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creation of a TM from a Word Table

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »