Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:56
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jul 2, 2005

I am translating a small doc in Word and every time after closing a translated segment the character accents change to something unrecognisible. I tried changing the style to clear formatting, saved the doc as txt. But the accents are still messed up.
I am quite sure this subject has been discussed before but I do not seem to be able to find anything.

I use Trados FL 6.5.5.5.438, Windows XP

Thanks in advance,
Burrell

umsarah
umsarah  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:56
English to Arabic
+ ...
change font style Jul 2, 2005

Hello Burrel,
I have encountered this problem a number of times before. And I could get around it in a number of ways. Usually changing the font style should solve the problem. If you are translating into English try using Times New Romans, it usually works fine. Also if the segments includes characters with different encoding next to each other (in my case it was English words next to Arabic ones), make sure you leave a space between them. In other instances, it was a problem in the tm it
... See more
Hello Burrel,
I have encountered this problem a number of times before. And I could get around it in a number of ways. Usually changing the font style should solve the problem. If you are translating into English try using Times New Romans, it usually works fine. Also if the segments includes characters with different encoding next to each other (in my case it was English words next to Arabic ones), make sure you leave a space between them. In other instances, it was a problem in the tm itself, try importing it to a new one. I'm not actually sure if this is the standard way of overcoming this problem, that, however, what I usually do when facing jumbled characters in the translation.
Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:56
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Font problem? Jul 2, 2005

I have this same issue with source files coming from a certain client. Although, I've created my own TM for this project but almost 50% of the times, strange characters appear after closing segments. Could it be a problem with unsupported fonts?

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:56
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Jul 2, 2005

I was just pointed into the right direction and solved my problem. I pressed Start/Run, typed regedit. Then found HKEY LOCAL MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Nls \ CodePage. Then it all depends on the OS - for Win 95 and 98 find line cp 1252.nls and change to cp 1251.nls. For Win NT/2000 (and apparently XP as it worked in my case and I have XP) - change to c 1251.nls . Then restart computer. If it does not work, you can reverse by manually changing the values back but it worked i... See more
I was just pointed into the right direction and solved my problem. I pressed Start/Run, typed regedit. Then found HKEY LOCAL MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Nls \ CodePage. Then it all depends on the OS - for Win 95 and 98 find line cp 1252.nls and change to cp 1251.nls. For Win NT/2000 (and apparently XP as it worked in my case and I have XP) - change to c 1251.nls . Then restart computer. If it does not work, you can reverse by manually changing the values back but it worked in my case.

Cheers,
Burrell
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with character encoding

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »