Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation
Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 4, 2005

Hi,

I am currently working with Tag Editor (BTW, I have Trados 6.5 & Tag Editor 6.5.5.438 Build 439) and I can't use the function View/ Preview Mode / Bilingual or any of the other two options: source or target. In simple words, my preview mode is greyed out.

At the bottom, my edit and view options (target and source) are working but the previou ones are also greyed out....

How to solve this? Another question, is it possible to print the file in a bilingual
... See more
Hi,

I am currently working with Tag Editor (BTW, I have Trados 6.5 & Tag Editor 6.5.5.438 Build 439) and I can't use the function View/ Preview Mode / Bilingual or any of the other two options: source or target. In simple words, my preview mode is greyed out.

At the bottom, my edit and view options (target and source) are working but the previou ones are also greyed out....

How to solve this? Another question, is it possible to print the file in a bilingual mode without the tags?

Many thanks.

Cecilia
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:04
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Jul 4, 2005

...to Trados Support - please use this forum to post Trados-related topics.

What file type are you working on? Is the relevant application installed on your system?

Best regards,
Ralf

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
No Preview for Certain File Types Jul 4, 2005

Afaik, the only file type for which a preview is available, is HTML. That leads me to assume you are not working on HTML files in TagEditor. Right?

Regarding your second question: Nope, no can do.

HTH,
Benjamin

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ttx files Jul 4, 2005

[quote]tectranslate wrote:

Afaik, the only file type for which a preview is available, is HTML. That leads me to assume you are not working on HTML files in TagEditor. Right?

>>>>>>>>>>You are right. I am working on ttx files. So taking your comment, this option is not available for ttx files, isn't it?

Regarding your second question: Nope, no can do.

>>>>>>>That is a pity! =(

>>>>>>>Thanks for your replies.

Cecilia

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which *original* file format? Jul 4, 2005

Hi again, Cecilia,
You are right. I am working on ttx files. So taking your comment, this option is not available for ttx files, isn't it?

Any file you're working on in TagEditor will be in Trados tag = TTX format. My question referred to the underlying file format, e.g. HTML, XML, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. Do you know which format the TTX file was created from?

Best regards,
Ralf

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry but no idea Jul 4, 2005

No idea at all. I would have to ask the client..... If I know the original format, would this help me?

Cecilia

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Important to know... Jul 4, 2005

Hi again,
No idea at all. I would have to ask the client.....

They didn't tell you? A TTX file does contain some hints, but you would need to be reasonably familiar with the XML structure.

Is there another extension in front of .ttx, perhaps .xls.ttx?

If I know the original format, would this help me?

Probably.

If the TTX file was created from an Excel or Powerpoint file, KB article 1248 might help.

Best regards,
Ralf

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
isc.ttx Jul 4, 2005

Hi again Ralf,

Thanks so much for your replies and I am sorry I am not giving you all the info (I didn't know how important some details can be)... answering to your question and I really hope this gives you a better idea of my situation.... the files are .isc.ttx

In the meantime I have asked the client but he hasn't replied to me yet...

Many thanks.

Cecilia

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
.isc = Converted Adobe InDesign files Jul 4, 2005

Hi,
Thanks so much for your replies and I am sorry I am not giving you all the info (I didn't know how important some details can be)...

Generally, it's useful to quote your Trados version (the full version number, including the build number - go to Help - About... to find out), the file format, and the version of any other software (particularly MS Office applications) used.

answering to your question and I really hope this gives you a better idea of my situation.... the files are .isc.ttx

These are converted Adobe InDesign files - AFAIK the preview function does not support any DTP formats.

See the Trados File Formats Reference Guide for a description of the workflow.

Best regards,
Ralf

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 4, 2005

Many thanks Ralf for your explanation and patience.

Sad that I can't preview my files on a bilingual format =(

Cecilia

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Preview Jul 4, 2005

Ralf has already answered all questions and I have nothing to that - but I'd like to revise my statement regarding preview being only available for HTML files:

I just noticed that I can also "preview" S-tagged files, i.e. FrameMaker or Interleaf/Quicksilver files. It's not a WYSIWYG preview, though. Just a quick conversion to tagged RTF with all the tags etc. still present.

Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use the bilingual preview mode

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »