Weird tageditor behaviour
Thread poster: Harmen Rijks
Harmen Rijks  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:30
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
Jul 9, 2005

Would someone be able to help me with this rather hairy problem? I need to submit a whole stack of translated html pages but the tageditor and workbench are misbehaving!

When I clean a document in the Workbench and then open it up in Dreamweaver some of the translated text does not show up, although it shows in a translation unit in TagEditor.

Sometimes when I clean it again and clean the html file as well it will appear again, sometimes it won't.

Any idea how to solve that strange behaviour?

Trados is certainly not the most straight forward of programs.

Regards

Harmen

Direct link Reply with quote

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:30
Meta tags etc. Jul 9, 2005

I know it's a long shot, but one explanation for text to show up when translating html files in TagEditor could be that the text is part of something that is simply not supposed to show immediately on the webpage, e.g. meta tags, ALT text for graphics etc.

Translation of html files is easier if you have a basic understanding of html tags.

As for why some text shows sometimes and sometimes not is beyond me, sorry. But I agree, computers and software can be powerful but also volatile allies

Regards,
Jørgen

Harmen Rijks  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:30
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Saga continues Jul 9, 2005

Hi Jørgen,

Thanks for your comments.

The text is plain text. The tageditor seems to have a real problem with lists. Every one of my pages has lists on it and it simply will not show the text as intended. It simply cuts the page off at a certain, fairly random point. I have not been able to work out what the html and xml coding is doing that it should not. There are no clues in the code so far.

The TagEditor sticks the headers of the lists within newly created tags and therefore (if I'm lucky) will only show a tag icon in Dreamweaver. I then have to cut and paste it out of the code and plonk it on the page.

I have worked out that if I do a 'save as' most of the page will then appear in Dreamweaver, with only 3-5 sentences shrouded in newly created code.

The tageditor is meant to make my life easier.......

So far it has only caused havoc and has resulted that in utter despair I have downloaded SDLX and are now testing it. I certainly ain't happy.

Wish I had looked at SDLX before I bought this pile of..... The developers must have taken a leaf out of the Microsoft software develpment book. It certainly appears to be as bug ridden as any of Bill's junk.

Regards

Harmen

Jørgen Madsen wrote:

I know it's a long shot, but one explanation for text to show up when translating html files in TagEditor could be that the text is part of something that is simply not supposed to show immediately on the webpage, e.g. meta tags, ALT text for graphics etc.

Translation of html files is easier if you have a basic understanding of html tags.

As for why some text shows sometimes and sometimes not is beyond me, sorry. But I agree, computers and software can be powerful but also volatile allies

Regards,
Jørgen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Weird tageditor behaviour

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs