Mobile menu

Upgrading to Trados 7 but keeping older version (one on each computer)
Thread poster: Mónica Machado

Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 13, 2005

Hello All/Ralf,

I would like advice on the following:

I have Trados Worbench, freelance edition (Trados, version 6.5.5.438 (build 439)) and a paralel dongle.

I now intend to get a lap top but that machine has no paralel dongle, only USBs.

What I need to know is whether I would be able to upgrade from Trados 6.5.5 (build 439) to Trados 7 on my new laptop (with softkey), and keep Trados 6.5.5 on my older machine? So that I have Trados 6.5.5. in the older machine with paralel port and Trados 7 in the new machine with softkey.

Since the laptop has no paralel port, I could install Trados 6.5.5 on it using conversion cable (paralel on one end and USB on the other), couldn't I? I need to install the older version on the laptop to then be able to upgrade it.

Ralf, please let me know if my assumptions are correct and whether the above is feasible.

Thanks for your support
Kind regards,
Mónica

English into European Portuguese Translator
Registered with:
- Portuguese Association of Translators (APT)
- Institute of Linguists (IOL, UK)
- Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI, UK)
E-mail 1: monicamachado@vizzavi.pt
E-mail 2: mfcmachado@hotmail.com
http://monicamachado.planetaclix.pt
Mobile no.: 00 351 91 8850376
Skype ID.: machado_m
MSN Messenger: mfcmachado@hotmail.com
Electronic fax: 00 1 707 2760125
FTP site: Address available upon request

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:36
English to German
+ ...
Why not use T7 on both machines? Jul 13, 2005

Hi Mónica,
What I need to know is whether I would be able to upgrade from Trados 6.5.5 (build 439) to Trados 7 on my new laptop (with softkey), and keep Trados 6.5.5 on my older machine? So that I have Trados 6.5.5. in the older machine with paralel port and Trados 7 in the new machine with softkey.

Why wouldn't you want to upgrade on both machines?

Quote from TranslationZone:

Q. Can I install my copy of TRADOS Freelance on more than one computer?
A. Yes. From the Customer Center, you are entitled to download two (2) softkey license files to use on up to two (2) computers. The softkey license is required to complete installation.

Generally, I find it beneficial to use the same software version across computers, because (i) you have the same functionality; and (ii) you can exchange databases without having to convert.

Since the laptop has no paralel port, I could install Trados 6.5.5 on it using conversion cable (paralel on one end and USB on the other), couldn't I?

Theoretically, yes...

I need to install the older version on the laptop to then be able to upgrade it.

Not at all. The upgrade is a full installation.

Best regards,
Ralf

Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Moving from Trados 6.5.5 to Trados 7 but keeping Trados 6.5.5 on a separate machine Jul 13, 2005

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your prompt assistance.

As for your queries:

From Trados Support I got (today) the following message:

"(...)I need to add one specification: the softkey license is not backwards compatible with previous TRADOS versions, but will only work with TRADOS 6.5 and 7 freelance. If clients still ask you to deliver translations in TRADOS version 6.0, 5.5 or 3, you can keep your dongle. If you only need to work with TRADOS 6.5 and 7 freelance, the softkey license is sufficient. In the first case (so if you still need to use the dongle) you should first exchange the dongle into a USB one (to be able to work with your new laptop) and then upgrade to TRADOS 7 Freelance."

So, I guess it would be wise to keep the older Trados version in case some client is still working with Trados 6 or previous versions.

Since I don't need to have the older version of Trados on the new machine before upgrading it (that's great!), I can install the upgrade on the new machine (using a softkey) and keep Trados 6.5.5 (with paralel port) undisturbed on the older machine for the time being. Correct?

Trados 7 is so new, I guess it's better to keep the older version in case something goes wrong...

But because I will receive two soft keys I can use one on the new machine and then later on use the other one on the older computer, when I upgrade it.

As for TMs... yes, having two different versions of TMs might be strange and confusing. But I do keep all memories safe in txt format (ready for importing if needed), so I guess it wouldn't be a problem. Having the two versions working on different machines I can easily swap if I encounter difficulties in Trados 7.

What do you think? Am I thinking correctly?
Thanks
Kind regards,
Mónica

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Older versions Jul 13, 2005

Hi again,
"(...)I need to add one specification: the softkey license is not backwards compatible with previous TRADOS versions, but will only work with TRADOS 6.5 and 7 freelance. If clients still ask you to deliver translations in TRADOS version 6.0, 5.5 or 3, you can keep your dongle. If you only need to work with TRADOS 6.5 and 7 freelance, the softkey license is sufficient. In the first case (so if you still need to use the dongle) you should first exchange the dongle into a USB one (to be able to work with your new laptop) and then upgrade to TRADOS 7 Freelance."

You said you're working with T6.5.5.438/439, in which case your TMs wouldn't be compatible with earlier versions.

With the exception of some source format/TTX combinations, you can always deliver a TM export and/or uncleaned file to clients: even someone with T3.0 can work on a Word file segmented using T6.5.5.

So, I guess it would be wise to keep the older Trados version in case some client is still working with Trados 6 or previous versions.

I've read this many times, but frankly, I fail to see the wisdom in keeping several outdated versions just because someone might still be using them.

Since I don't need to have the older version of Trados on the new machine before upgrading it (that's great!), I can install the upgrade on the new machine (using a softkey) and keep Trados 6.5.5 (with paralel port) undisturbed on the older machine for the time being. Correct?

You can do that, of course.

Trados 7 is so new, I guess it's better to keep the older version in case something goes wrong...

You could always roll back to T6.5.5 (which is covered by the soft license).

As for TMs... yes, having two different versions of TMs might be strange and confusing. But I do keep all memories safe in txt format (ready for importing if needed), so I guess it wouldn't be a problem. Having the two versions working on different machines I can easily swap if I encounter difficulties in Trados 7.

Exchanging data between your own computers using text export/import is cumbersome, compared to simply replicating the databases. But it's possible, of course.

Best regards,
Ralf

Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf Jul 13, 2005

Hi Ralf,

You said you're working with T6.5.5.438/439, in which case your TMs wouldn't be compatible with earlier versions.

Since I work with exports, I don't really have any problems with older Trados TMs. The export files can be imported into new TMs, no matter the Trados version used.

I've read this many times, but frankly, I fail to see the wisdom in keeping several outdated versions just because someone might still be using them.

Ok.... I will have your opinion in mind. I guess I have to have a better look on what my clients are using and see the best way for both parties.

You can do that, of course.

Great... If I really have to keep both, off course.

Really? Didn't know that...

Exchanging data between your own computers using text export/import is cumbersome, compared to simply replicating the databases. But it's possible, of course.

Thanks Ralf. I really appreciate your assistance. It has helped me a lot. Everything looks clearer now... At least until Trados releases a newer version again

Best regards,
Mónica

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Rolling back Jul 13, 2005

One more thing...

Well, by deinstalling T7 and reinstalling T6.5.5. Important: Export your TMs created in T7, as T6.5.x will not be able to open them.

Best, Ralf

Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, once again Jul 13, 2005

Hi again,

Well, by deinstalling T7 and reinstalling T6.5.5. Important: Export your TMs created in T7, as T6.5.x will not be able to open them.

Yes, previous Trados version cannot open TMs created in older versions, unless TMs are exported/imported.

Cheers
Mónica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrading to Trados 7 but keeping older version (one on each computer)

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs