Analysis: shouldn't anything below 70% match be considered a no match?
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:16
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 18, 2005

I noticed, when calculating for a big project, that the analysis starts counting 'matches' from 50% upwards. At the same time the standard setting in the workbench is 70% (I think). Any phrase below 70% is not entered into the open unit. Which means I'll be translating the whole thing. Which corresponds to a 'no match'.
Is there a flaw in my logic? Okay, you can adjust the 'match' level in workbench. Does anyone ever do that? If not, then I don't really need the 50-74% bracket in the analy
... See more
I noticed, when calculating for a big project, that the analysis starts counting 'matches' from 50% upwards. At the same time the standard setting in the workbench is 70% (I think). Any phrase below 70% is not entered into the open unit. Which means I'll be translating the whole thing. Which corresponds to a 'no match'.
Is there a flaw in my logic? Okay, you can adjust the 'match' level in workbench. Does anyone ever do that? If not, then I don't really need the 50-74% bracket in the analysis, do I? Three ranges, say 60-79, 80-89 and 90-99 would do, wouldn't it? Or even less.
Curious for your comments.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:16
English to German
+ ...
Entirely up to you... Jul 18, 2005

Hi Marinus,
I find the breakddown interesting, yet I consider anything below 75% a no-match - notwithstanding the fact that I use a minimum match value of 40%...

Best regards,
Ralf

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 17:16
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
50% matches can be almost perfect translations Jul 19, 2005

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

Is there a flaw in my logic? Okay, you can adjust the 'match' level in workbench. Does anyone ever do that? If not, then I don't really need the 50-74% bracket in the analysis, do I? Three ranges, say 60-79, 80-89 and 90-99 would do, wouldn't it? Or even less.
Curious for your comments.

My match setting is usually at 50% or even lower. This does often result in not exactly useful matches.

On the other hand, it doesn't take much to turn almost identical translations into matches of 50% or below - different tags, slightly different word order, missing or additional punctuation, different capitalization, etc. So a lower setting can provide useful additional leverage. And even if the overall matched translation is not that great, it often makes the additional use of the concordance unnecessary (i.e. it saves time).

For projects that started out as Word docs and were transformed into tagged html texts, which I sometimes get from one of my clients, even a setting as low as 30% produces useful results.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Analysis: shouldn't anything below 70% match be considered a no match?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »