Is it possible to create a dictionary/dictionaries with Trados?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:42
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 19, 2005

I have only been using Trados since Sunday, and it seems very easy to work, in order to do a translation, because of the very close similarities to Fusion. However, I have looked through the Help topics and cannot find anything about how to create a dictionary. How is this done?

Astrid

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
MultiTerm Jul 19, 2005

Hi Astrid,
I suppose you're referring to a terminology database (a 'termbase')? There is a separate Trados application called MultiTerm. You didn't specify which Trados version you're using (although given your recent post regarding a new purchase, I assume it's 6.5.5 or 7.0) - check the documentation installed with the software (MultiTerm has its own documentation).

Best regards,
Ralf

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 7.0 Jul 19, 2005

Hi Ralf,

I got Trados 7.0 recently with the group buy, and I have been using it for a few days, to create new TMs, do translations, and clean them up, but I already forgot that it's not just one programme, like Fusion. I have only done translations in my usual field in the past few days, namely trademarks, and for those the terminology is all in my head, but now I got one this evening from an agency that is a bit different, and I need to research terms and have a place to put the a
... See more
Hi Ralf,

I got Trados 7.0 recently with the group buy, and I have been using it for a few days, to create new TMs, do translations, and clean them up, but I already forgot that it's not just one programme, like Fusion. I have only done translations in my usual field in the past few days, namely trademarks, and for those the terminology is all in my head, but now I got one this evening from an agency that is a bit different, and I need to research terms and have a place to put the answers for the second time the term occurs. So far, I have started on a piece of paper.

Yes, I did get something called Multiterm as well, but I have not looked at it yet. Is that the dictionary? Do I have to have that open at the same time as the normal Trados programme?

Thanks for reminding me about that programme.

Astrid
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check the Tutorials and documentation Jul 19, 2005

Hi again,
Yes, I did get something called Multiterm as well, but I have not looked at it yet. Is that the dictionary?

That's what Fusion probably calls the function - as I said, it's the terminology management tool. (I believe a dictionary is something else...)

Do I have to have that open at the same time as the normal Trados programme?

Not necessarily - as far as functionality goes, I would nevertheless suggest to run through the documentation.

Best, Ralf

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! The instructions have got 288 pages! Jul 19, 2005

I guess I'll have to print them and read them next time I run out of translations.

Thanks, anyway, for your help, Ralf.

Astrid

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:42
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Better not print out the documentations Jul 20, 2005

I did that once, when someone else paid for the printer cartridges
But I never looked at those papers again. Its easier to read the manual on screen, you can switch between chapters by one click.
Otherwise I cannot help you with the termbase, I have not used it yet either.
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to create a dictionary/dictionaries with Trados?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »