Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:05
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jul 20, 2005

What I haven't been able to understand yet is, how to process lots of files in TE. I use 6.5.5.
Is there a switch that lets me combine all files in a folder for translation/saving/cleanup?
Or do I have always to save and close every single file?
Thanks for help!
Heinrich

[Edited at 2005-07-20 06:19]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:05
Member (2003)
German to French
Translation and clean-up Jul 20, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

What I haven't been able to understand yet is, how to process lots of files in TE. I use 6.5.5.
Is there a switch that lets me combine all files in a folder for translation/saving/cleanup?
Or do I have always to save and close every single file?
Thanks for help!
Heinrich

[Edited at 2005-07-20 06:19]

Hi Heinrich,

For the translation, yes, you have to open/close and save each file separately. But for the clean-up in the Workbench, you can select as much files as you want and clean them up all in once.
HTH,

Sylvain

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
You can open multiple files in TagEditor Jul 20, 2005

Hi there,
When I have a lot of files (with little text in each), usually they are in the same folder.
I open them by batches (10/15 at a time) in Tag Editor, using the Shift or Ctrl key in the Open File dialog box. This way I spend less time in the opening/translating/closing process.
For pretranslation/cleaning, you can of course process multiple files concurrently in Workbench.
Hope it helps,
Philippe

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
A little help - perhaps Jul 20, 2005

I have worked on several such projects (a lot of small ttx files) by analysing all files together and exporting all segments with 99% or lwer match value into a single rtf.

You can translate this rtf (sometimes you need to look up the context in the original files, or even better in the pdf reference if provided by the customer) and then run automatic translation on the batch of the ttx files from the memory so updated.

Unfortunately, this process is not 100% reliable, so I recommend (after translating) to open all of the ttx files in TagEditor together and run fuzzy on them (one by one) to give them the "final touch." If you are careful to close only the finished files, you are sure you have not forgotten any.

I have not been able to find anything nicer in this setup. Perhaps it would be possible to open (and process) ttx files programmatically in Visual Basic, but I have not found out how to do it.

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lots of files to process

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs