Thread poster: Mariana Gomez
Mariana Gomez
Mariana Gomez
Mexico
Local time: 03:42
English to Spanish
Jul 20, 2005

Hello all,

I have a bilingual glossary in the form of a two-column Excel-table and I want to import it into an empty termbase that I have created in MultiTerm iX.

Does anybody know how to do that?

Best regards!!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-07-20 14:39]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:42
English to German
+ ...
MultiTerm Convert Jul 20, 2005

Hi,
MTiX comes with a conversion utility called MT Convert that will let you do this - which version of MTiX are you using? (Full version number including the 'build number', please - go to Help - About... to find out.)

Best regards,
Ralf

Mariana Gomez
Mariana Gomez
Mexico
Local time: 03:42
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Ralph!! Jul 20, 2005

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for your help.

My version is MultiTerm 6.2.0.287 (Build 287)

=)

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:42
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Also, which Excel version do you use? Jul 21, 2005

I have Excel 97 at home and before converting it, I have to prepare it.

Taken from the Multiterm user guide:

Microsoft Excel format (*.xls files).

It is necessary to have Microsoft Excel installed on your
computer to convert a file of this type. MultiTerm Convert directly supports Excel 2000, 2002 (XP) and Excel 2003. Users of Excel 97 must prepare their files before using MultiTerm
Convert.

Regards,

Cla
... See more
I have Excel 97 at home and before converting it, I have to prepare it.

Taken from the Multiterm user guide:

Microsoft Excel format (*.xls files).

It is necessary to have Microsoft Excel installed on your
computer to convert a file of this type. MultiTerm Convert directly supports Excel 2000, 2002 (XP) and Excel 2003. Users of Excel 97 must prepare their files before using MultiTerm
Convert.

Regards,

Clarisa
Collapse

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:42
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
The MultiTerm tutorial is very useful Jul 21, 2005

When I first used Trados and MuliTerm, I found the tutorial excellent. I find it great fun converting Excel files into termbases that allow you to actually insert terms directly into your translation. I only wish I had more Excel files to convert. The tutorials are much more user-friendly and easy to grasp than the documentation; it's great being taken through all the steps visually, and you still have the explanatory texts at the side of each screenshot.

I also like the term recogn
... See more
When I first used Trados and MuliTerm, I found the tutorial excellent. I find it great fun converting Excel files into termbases that allow you to actually insert terms directly into your translation. I only wish I had more Excel files to convert. The tutorials are much more user-friendly and easy to grasp than the documentation; it's great being taken through all the steps visually, and you still have the explanatory texts at the side of each screenshot.

I also like the term recognition improvements in Trados 7 that let you enter terms very easily while you're translating. This means that you can build up ever more useful glossaries while your working, including from TagEditor now too. I'm quite pleased with Trados/MultiTerm 7, I would say it was worth the wait.

And no, I don't work for the Trados marketing department! Have fun converting your Excel files.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing an Excel-based glossary into MTiX

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »