Mobile menu

Tageditor - custom dictionary
Thread poster: marnic
marnic
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 27, 2005

Hello,

does anybody know how to make Tageditor (Trados Freelance 6.5) permanently remember entries made to the custom dictionary?
Each time I launch it I have to redefine all my "autocorrect" entries and it's quite annoying...

Thanks a lot

Marianna

Direct link Reply with quote

Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:45
English to German
create your own custom dictionary Jul 27, 2005

Hi Marianna

I've created custom dictionaries, which I save in a folder on my hard drive.

Here's how you do it:

1. Open a (new) file in TE so you can access the Check Spelling dialog box.

2. There, click the Options button. This takes you to another dialog box, in my case Winter Tree Spelling Checker Properties, where you can add a new dictionary, select from existing dictionaries and select one of your dictionaries as the default dictionary.

I've had to do this because for some inexplicable reason, I can't use the Word spellchecker. The plug-in won't load, no matter what I try.

3. When an unknown word is found during the spell check of a document in TE, clicking the Add button in the Check Spelling dialog box permanently adds the word to the currently active custom dictionary, a txt file which is saved in the folder of your choice.

BTW, if you accidentally add a misspelled word to your custom dictionary, you can open the txt file in Word or another editor, search for the misspelled word and correct or delete it.

HTH,

Rebekka

[Edited at 2005-07-27 11:30]

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:45
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Solving the methylated problem Jul 27, 2005

Rebekka's helpful advice is particularly useful and timely for me, because I have recently started using the MS Word spelling checker in TagEditor, with bizarre consequences in the last couple of days. I have been editing a file in TagEditor, and everything worked fine until it hit the word "methylated" in a segment. When confirming the segment, TagEditor always crashed, with that fearful screen "TagEditor ... problem ... we are sorry for the inconvenience."

After some experimenting I found that "methylated" always caused a crash but "ethylated" was fine. So I put these two words plus a few others into an MS Word document and ran the MS Word 2000 English UK spellchecker. Sure enough, it complained that "methylated" was not in the dictionary, (though it is in the OED), and suggested ethylated or mentholated instead.

A work-around was to untick TagEditor Tools/Plug-ins/Spelling Checks for Word Spelling Checker. Now TagEditor accepts "methylated".

Next step is to follow Rebekka's advice on creating my own dictionary. My first word will be "methylated".

Jan Kruse
Germany
Local time: 21:45
Dutch to German
+ ...
add won´t work Sep 17, 2010

Rebekka Groß wrote:

3. When an unknown word is found during the spell check of a document in TE, clicking the Add button in the Check Spelling dialog box permanently adds the word to the currently active custom dictionary, a txt file which is saved in the folder of your choice.

Hi,

unfortunately this is not working since I moved to Windows 7 using Trados 7.1. The dialog box is shown, I can click on 'add', but the term just won´t be added.

Any ideas?

Thanks for help!

Jan

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I'm afraid I have a solution... Sep 17, 2010

upgrade to Trados 8.3.0.863 (Trados 2007 Suite, now available together with Trados 2009 Studio).
Your Tados version is quite old and most probably this is the reason it will not work properly in Win7.

Jan Kruse
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thanks Jerzy Sep 17, 2010

Thanks Jerzy,
you are always a good help!
I am afraid I have to upgrade programs for Win7 ... in a project break time.

By the way: the combination Trados 7 - Office 2007 doesn´t work neither.

Cheers
Jan

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Of course it doesn't Sep 18, 2010

Jan Kruse wrote:
By the way: the combination Trados 7 - Office 2007 doesn´t work neither.
Cheers
Jan

Hi Jan,
Trados 7 had been released long before Office 2007 was. Since there were large changes between Word 2003 and Word 2007, the macros had to be adjusted. This was fixed with the release of Trados 2007.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tageditor - custom dictionary

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs