Thread poster: Cibeles (X)
Cibeles (X)
Cibeles (X)

Local time: 22:48
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 28, 2005

Hello!
I have received fm-files (frame maker) from a client. There is a possibility to process them (i.e. analyse and translate) with Trados 6.5?.

Thank you and Regards

Clara

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
File Format Reference Guide Jul 28, 2005

Hi Clara,
I have received fm-files (frame maker) from a client. There is a possibility to process them (i.e. analyse and translate) with Trados 6.5?.

Have a look at chapter 3 of the File Formats Reference Guide (installed with your software: Start - Programs - Trados 6.5 - Documentation.

Best regards,
Ralf

Cibeles (X)
Cibeles (X)

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Frame maker files -File Format Reference Guide Jul 28, 2005

Thank you a lot Ralf, I have looked into the guide and the procedure seems quite clear now.
But another question(somewhat off-topic) is arisen by reading it: According to the reference guide, Trados needs the frame maker files in mif-format.
I do not have myself frame maker and I do not know this programm.
Is it possible for my client to save the files again as mif-format or this conversion can even be done by me with Trados?
Regards
Clara

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
You need FrameMaker or ask the Client to save them as MIF files Jul 28, 2005

Clara Morales Gonzalez wrote:
Is it possible for my client to save the files again as mif-format or this conversion can even be done by me with Trados?
Regards
Clara

.fm FrameMaker files can only be converted with FrameMaker. Trados can only handly MIF files. This means that somebody will need to open them with FrameMaker and convert them to MIF files.

[Edited at 2005-07-28 15:33]

Cibeles (X)
Cibeles (X)

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
frame maker files Jul 28, 2005

Olaf wrote:
.fm FrameMaker files can only be converted with FrameMaker. Trados can only handly MIF files. This means that somebody will need to open them with FrameMaker and convert them to MIF files.

Thank you very much, Olaf, I will contact my client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Frame maker files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »