Dongle and Parallel Port
Thread poster: Domenica Nieddu

Domenica Nieddu  Identity Verified
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 1, 2005

Hello,

This might be a silly question but I was wondering if anybody could suggest a way to pass from a parallel dongle to a USB one.

I purchased Trados 6.5 2 years ago and I made the mistake of getting a parallel dongle. Now all the good laptops that I want to buy have no parallel ports.

I tried to phone Trados but nobody is home. Does anybody have a suggestion. (Maybe I can purchase a softkey - how much is it?)

Thanks,

Domenica

Direct link Reply with quote

RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 09:14
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Update Aug 1, 2005

Hello,

maybe it is is easiest and cheapest way to buy an Update and change to the new software key license.

With kind regards

Hans

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
USB to parallel adapter Aug 1, 2005

Hi Domenica,

Maybe an adapter would help? Something like this:
http://www.usbgear.net/item_157.html

Natalia

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
With ab USB-LPT converter, poor chances... Aug 1, 2005

Natalie wrote:

Maybe an adapter would help? Something like this:
http://www.usbgear.net/item_157.html

No way, I think.
Most emulated USB LPT ports don't support encryption devices (dongles), tested with HASP one (SDLX).
You should rather try a PCMCIA LPT Adapter (not tested but seems possible).

Best regards
GG

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Upgrade... why not... Aug 1, 2005

DSC wrote:

Maybe it is is easiest and cheapest way to buy an Update and change to the new software key license.

Agree.
And T7 seems worth the upgrade.

Best regards
GG

xxxcerveira
English to Portuguese
ContactTrados by e-mail (Support@trados.be) Aug 2, 2005

Hi Domenica,

You can exchange your paralel dongle and get a USB one. Trados would do it for you at a cost of EUR 10, and that's sent to you free of charge.

Contact them using this e-mail address: Support@trados.be

I have contacted them several times on this and other issues and they are very helpful and quick to reply (taking less than 24 hours to reply).

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Mónica

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Support in Belgium Aug 2, 2005

Just to note that the address shown is valid for Trados customers covered by their Brussels office only.

Best regards,
Ralf

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 08:14
I had the same situation. Aug 2, 2005

You can buy a software key from Trados for about €85, which means you don't have to buy a Parallel-USB adapter or any attachments like that. That is what I had to do when I was in your situation.

You can download the key from the site, after you get in touch with Trados Sales Support (I was in contact with Cordula Lutz).
Then you have to install Trados. (Assuming you have not yet done so)

In the Workbench, go to Help>About>Licence Manager and browse to where you have saved the software licence key, highlight it, OK et voila. I have not had any problems so far.

Orla

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dongle and Parallel Port

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs