https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/35267-tm_lost_after_computer_crash.html

TM lost after computer crash
Thread poster: Austra Muizniece
Austra Muizniece
Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 07:41
English to Latvian
+ ...
Aug 1, 2005

workbench version - 6.0.0.309 build 300

I was working on a Word file when my laptop decided it's a good time to crash. I didn't worry too much, because any other time a part of the Word file would be lost, but the TM would make up for it. Well, not this time - I've lost about 5 completed pages. I tried opening the backup version of my Word document and the backup version of TM, no results.
I'm pretty frustrated since this job is taking all my free time right now and I really g
... See more

I was working on a Word file when my laptop decided it's a good time to crash. I didn't worry too much, because any other time a part of the Word file would be lost, but the TM would make up for it. Well, not this time - I've lost about 5 completed pages. I tried opening the backup version of my Word document and the backup version of TM, no results.
I'm pretty frustrated since this job is taking all my free time right now and I really got a lot done today, well, until the crash. There were no error messages, the screen just froze after set/close/next/open/get button was pushed. The space between the two segments contained a photo pasted into Word document, I guess that caused the overload. Any suggestions for a desperate translator?:)
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:41
Swedish to English
+ ...
Try Exporting / Workbench Maintenance Aug 1, 2005

Hard to diagnose without more information, but I would try this:

Close and reload Workbench. Export the TM, look at it in an editor. Where does it stop?
ALternatively, use Workbench File / Maintenance / Begin Search, and see what is there. To go to recent data, Filter / Click "Created On" / Add / in Criterion box, amend date to something like
>01/08/2005, 00:00 / OK, then click Begin Search.

Where does it stop?
Delete anything that looks odd.
Ame
... See more
Hard to diagnose without more information, but I would try this:

Close and reload Workbench. Export the TM, look at it in an editor. Where does it stop?
ALternatively, use Workbench File / Maintenance / Begin Search, and see what is there. To go to recent data, Filter / Click "Created On" / Add / in Criterion box, amend date to something like
>01/08/2005, 00:00 / OK, then click Begin Search.

Where does it stop?
Delete anything that looks odd.
Amend a copy of your Word document to delete the graphic.
Optionally close and reload everything.
Use Trados Translate to Fuzzy to update your copy.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:41
English to German
+ ...
'Backup' TM? Aug 2, 2005

Hi Austra,

Very probably not related to your problem, but build 300 had several bugs and was very quickly updated to build 309/310.

I tried opening the backup version of my Word document and the backup version of TM, no results.

Can you please expand on that? Could you not open the same TM (if not, what happened)? What are you referring to as the 'backup version'?

Best, Ralf

Austra Muizniece
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM could be opened Aug 2, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Austra,

Very probably not related to your problem, but build 300 had several bugs and was very quickly updated to build 309/310.

I tried opening the backup version of my Word document and the backup version of TM, no results.

Can you please expand on that? Could you not open the same TM (if not, what happened)? What are you referring to as the 'backup version'?

Best, Ralf

I could open the TM, but it had lost approx. last 3 hours (5 pages) of work. By backup version I mean BAK file, the user manual said that was the backup file. I also opened exported TM file(which I exported right after the crash), which had the same amount of segments lost. I also have the automatic backup option for Word files - again, the same result. Seems very weird, this has never happened, could it be my computer's fault?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:41
English to German
+ ...
Damage to index files? Aug 2, 2005

Hi again,
I could open the TM, but it had lost approx. last 3 hours (5 pages) of work.

Which would be unusual, as each segment is directly stored in the TM.

By backup version I mean BAK file, the user manual said that was the backup file.

The .BAK file is created during cleanup - unfortunately, that's no use in this scenario.

I also opened exported TM file(which I exported right after the crash), which had the same amount of segments lost.

Hang on - a TM export is a text file, which you cannot open in Workbench (only with a text editor). Does that text file contain some of the text that appears to have been lost?

Have you tried creating a new TM and importing that .txt file? Before doing that, you could try reorganising your existing TM.

I also have the automatic backup option for Word files - again, the same result.

That is unreliable, I'm afraid (but I guess you've realised that by now).

My best guess (admittedly, a guess) is that the index files (the four files accompanying a TM) were damaged, as a result of which Workbench might simply be unable to find them.

Best regards,
Ralf

Austra Muizniece
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the same amount is gone from txt version and Workbench environment Aug 2, 2005

Hang on - a TM export is a text file, which you cannot open in Workbench (only with a text editor). Does that text file contain some of the text that appears to have been lost?

Have you tried creating a new TM and importing that .txt file? Before doing that, you could try reorganising your existing TM.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I tried importing the txt file in new TM, the same result, nothing came up. I'll try reorganizing.
... See more

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I tried importing the txt file in new TM, the same result, nothing came up. I'll try reorganizing.
I already finished the translation concerned,as the deadline was today, but this issue still bothers me - how do I know it doesn't happen again:(
The index files are still there, I haven't deleted them or anything, but my laptop crashed so who knows what happened at that point.

Thanks, Ralf, for advice!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM lost after computer crash

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »