Thread poster: ViktoriaG

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:10
English to French
+ ...
Aug 1, 2005

Hello all,

I just want to check with you if I am hallucinating or if it is really true that there is no way to get any support for Trados?

I get error messages in Trados and when I try to go find out what they mean, no Trados site - or SDLX site containing Trados info - opens. It seems that Tados is basically off the web.

I paid for the software and am therefore entitled to support. I have to finish the job today. Isn't something wrong with the picture?

Also, I paid for an upgrade that I haven't downloaded yet. Where do I download it if Trados is not online? Makes me wonder where I put my money...

Anybody knows of some way to find a list of error numbers? Please don't refer me to Trados...

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxOlaf
Local time: 05:10
English to German
Try support.trados.com Aug 1, 2005

ViktoriaG wrote:

I get error messages in Trados and when I try to go find out what they mean, no Trados site - or SDLX site containing Trados info - opens. It seems that Tados is basically off the web.

Try http://support.trados.com/ and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/

xxx@caduceus
United States
Local time: 21:10
English to German
+ ...
Trados.com Aug 1, 2005

I would suggest taking a look at http://support.trados.com/ or http://www.trados.com/

There's a knowledge base to browse, FAQs, support information and a "Report a Problem" link to get help. Downloads are at http://support.trados.com/download.asp.

If you can't get it figured out this way, call them directly
(http://www.trados.com/contact.asp).

Hope this helps!

Renate

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:10
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Knowledge base Aug 1, 2005

Olaf is right - there is quite a lot of support information on the various Trados sites (click on Trados Workbench / Help / Trados on the web Traos Support Centre. The Knowledge Base covers many error messages.

But it is also true that for more detailed support, you have to pay. Worth considering.

Meanwhile, I have had many cryptic error messages over the years, but so far I have been able to keep working by a combination of:
- the Knowledge Base
- using the Trados commands Fix Document and Toggle Tag Protection to make sure the Trados tags are correct and not corrupted
- making sure that lines have proper paragraph terminators (that reverse P character)
- making sure you don't accidentally load 2 copies of Workbench
- backing up often
- making sure MS Word / Tools / Options / View / Show Picture Plceholders is unchecked (unless needed)
- closing and reloading Workbench and MultiTerm
- rebooting the PC.
- reading advice here and elsewhere
- last but not least, a bit of RTFM (Read the Manual) sometimes helps.

[Edited at 2005-08-01 22:02]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Er... what about this forum? Aug 2, 2005

Hi Viktoria,

I just want to check with you if I am hallucinating or if it is really true that there is no way to get any support for Trados?

As the answers given already have shown, there are several sources of support, both from Trados (free and paid) and through a variety of user groups, one of them being this forum. I was therefore a bit surprised to see your complaint, which doesn't address which errors you're getting...?

Any website (including ProZ.com, BTW...) can suffer downtime, due to various reasons (line problems, name server issues, server failure, DOS attack, etc.). Just checked it myself - the Trados KB is alive and kicking.

Best regards,
Ralf

xxxcerveira
English to Portuguese
E-mail Trados support at Support@trados.be Aug 2, 2005

Hi ViktoriaG,

I have contacted Trados support a few times using this e-mail address Support@trados.be and always got a reply within 24 hours.

Many people complain, but I can only say good things about them and they are great to provide help.

Hope this e-mail address will help you to get a better impression on them.

Best regards,
Mónica

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Trados Brussels wouldn't cover Canadian customers Aug 2, 2005

Hi again, Mónica,
My experience with Trados Stuttgart is similar (although I have a support contract), but Trados Brussels wouldn't normally deal with customers in Canada.

Best regards,
Ralf

xxxcerveira
English to Portuguese
Trados be Aug 2, 2005

Hi Ralf,

Well, I didn't know that... but at least they might give ViktoriaG an alternative form of contact.

Thanks for this piece of info.

Kind regards,
Mónica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where can I get help for Trados?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs