Thread poster: Silvina Jover-Cirillo
Silvina Jover-Cirillo
United States
Local time: 20:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 3, 2005

Hi everybody!!!

I know this probably will sound as a silly question, but I'm new at Trados.

Even though none of my clients requested it, I've been translating with Trados 7 Freelance for the past month.

Now, I'm about to start this big project with a new client and, of course, he wants me to use Trados.

Talking about rates, the contract says the following:

The rates for Repetitions Match, Fuzzy Match and No Match, regardless of the software used for translation, will be:

a) 25% of the full rate for Repetition.
b) 50% of the full rate for Fuzzy Matches and;
c) 100% of the full rate for no Matches.

OK. So, how do I do this? How do I invoice this? How do I know the final word count to be able to provide my client with the proper word count.

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Local time: 02:44
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Analyse the files with Workbench Aug 3, 2005

When you receive the files from the client you do this:

*Open Workbench
*Choose 'Tools' - 'Analyse'
*Then add the files and click 'Analyse'

The total analysis (repetitions, 100% matches, fuzzy matches and no matches) is then listed in the bottom right of the screen.

I usually print this out, make the calculation and note something like "Trados rates" total: xxx on my invoice.

Good luck.

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:44
Partial member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Example Aug 3, 2005

Here is an example:

Either the client has given you a TM set or you have to create a blank TM for your project. Analyze the files (i.e. source word files or other types of files) you have in Trados Workbench
[Tools>Analyze] and then view the log file. Look at the part corresponding to your recent analysis (The log file may contain records of all your analysis actions, the most recent one will be at the end of the log )text file. It should be something like this :

Match Types Segments Words Percent Placeables
XTranslated 0 0 0 0
Repetitions 752 1,505 21 0
100% 79 408 6 0
95% - 99% 0 0 0 0
85% - 94% 3 13 0 0
75% - 84% 12 57 1 0
50% - 74% 6 18 0 0
No Match 2,268 5,307 72 0
Total 3,120 7,308 100 0

In this case and based on your discount scheme (100/50/25) you will have:

100% X (base rate per word) x 5307
50% X (base rate per word) x (18+57+13+0)
25% X (base rate per word) x (1505 + 408)

Insert your base rate and calculate and sum up. I normally state all three sections (No match, fuzzy and repetitions) in my invoices separately and give a grand total.

Happy translating!

P.S. Some invoicing software (like Translation Office 3000) allow you to create a set of rates for CAT jobs for each client. In that way, you only need to insert the word counts and discount scheme and the invoice will be created automatically.

[Edited at 2005-08-03 06:02]

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Things to negotiate Aug 3, 2005

Fuzzy mathes below 75% are probably completely worthless and you should negotiate to count them as no match.

TRADOS 'golden rule' is 100/60/30, so perhaps you should try to have it instead of less favourable rule you write of. Discounts for fuzzy matches are questionable. Search the discussions and you will find more about it. Some translators do not use them. Agencies tend to, of course. End customers usually do not know about them, and agencies usually charge full rates.

[Edited at 2005-08-03 06:29]

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
Take a look at... Aug 3, 2005

there you can solve all your doubts.

The big problem by analysis is that if the TM is bad, and it ist normally bad, cause you know, "Too many cook may spoil the broth ,,,,but it only takes one to burn it!"

So you may need to translate a lot of the 100% too!

In a big project that can be a "catastrophe"

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:44
Flemish to English
+ ...
See other topic Aug 3, 2005 and especially the comment of our Hungarian colleague.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I use Excel Aug 4, 2005

The textfile for the Trados-analysis can be loaded into Excel (standard procedure) and then I copy and past the appropriate colums (ratings and word-price for the particular customer) into the table and get the sum for my invoice.
Most customers who insist on using Trados provide their own rating system, then you have to adjust your word-price accordingly in order to get the right amount of money.
For new customers never forget to agree on both: breakdown and word-price.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for Repetitions Match, Fuzzy Match and No Match

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs