Mobile menu

Starting Off with Trados 6.5
Thread poster: Continental Translations

Continental Translations
Local time: 00:55
English to Albanian
+ ...
Aug 3, 2005

I hvae just purchased Trados 6.5 from a friend who no longer uses it. I am working as a part-time translator and don't translate all that often. Likewise, I have recently purchased a new computer and whilst transferring my old files, I have inadvertantly deleted all my old translations.

Now, before accepting any new translation projects, is there anything I can do with regards to developing the "Translation Mermory" within Trados 6.5? So, in essence, I want to develop my translation memory without actually doing any "real" translations so that, when I do accept a future translation, there will be some translation memory that may assist

Thanks all

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Align function Aug 3, 2005

Hi,

Check the Align function in Trados. It allows you to create TMs from previous translations. You just feed in the source and target texts and it creates a TM for you, which you can use for future translations.

Hope this helps.

Stefanie

PS: In Trados, the function is called WinAlign, not Align. Sorry.

[Edited at 2005-08-03 13:34]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not much use I'm afraid Aug 4, 2005

Translation memories help when you do lot of work for the same end-client. But otherwise texts are so much different, that you will not find much similiarities even between texts for the same purpose when written by different people.

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Not useless Aug 4, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Translation memories help when you do lot of work for the same end-client. But otherwise texts are so much different, that you will not find much similiarities even between texts for the same purpose when written by different people.

I don't agree.

It depends on your settings in Workbench, because fuzzy matches can still be very helpfull.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting Off with Trados 6.5

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs