https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/35317-starting_off_with_trados_65.html

Starting Off with Trados 6.5
Thread poster: Continental Translations
Continental Translations
Continental Translations
Local time: 03:57
English to Albanian
+ ...
Aug 3, 2005

I hvae just purchased Trados 6.5 from a friend who no longer uses it. I am working as a part-time translator and don't translate all that often. Likewise, I have recently purchased a new computer and whilst transferring my old files, I have inadvertantly deleted all my old translations.

Now, before accepting any new translation projects, is there anything I can do with regards to developing the "Translation Mermory" within Trados 6.5? So, in essence, I want to develop my translation
... See more
I hvae just purchased Trados 6.5 from a friend who no longer uses it. I am working as a part-time translator and don't translate all that often. Likewise, I have recently purchased a new computer and whilst transferring my old files, I have inadvertantly deleted all my old translations.

Now, before accepting any new translation projects, is there anything I can do with regards to developing the "Translation Mermory" within Trados 6.5? So, in essence, I want to develop my translation memory without actually doing any "real" translations so that, when I do accept a future translation, there will be some translation memory that may assist

Thanks all
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Align function Aug 3, 2005

Hi,

Check the Align function in Trados. It allows you to create TMs from previous translations. You just feed in the source and target texts and it creates a TM for you, which you can use for future translations.

Hope this helps.

Stefanie

PS: In Trados, the function is called WinAlign, not Align. Sorry.

[Edited at 2005-08-03 13:34]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not much use I'm afraid Aug 4, 2005

Translation memories help when you do lot of work for the same end-client. But otherwise texts are so much different, that you will not find much similiarities even between texts for the same purpose when written by different people.

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Not useless Aug 4, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Translation memories help when you do lot of work for the same end-client. But otherwise texts are so much different, that you will not find much similiarities even between texts for the same purpose when written by different people.

I don't agree.

It depends on your settings in Workbench, because fuzzy matches can still be very helpfull.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting Off with Trados 6.5

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »