Mobile menu

One TM or More?
Thread poster: xxxneilgreenoug
xxxneilgreenoug
Local time: 07:58
Spanish to English
Aug 5, 2005

Would it be best to use the same TM for each translation you do and just keeping adding to it if you don't get regular work from the same client or would you suggest using unique TMs?

Also, if I receive a new translation project from a client, can I use an existing TM to translate it and then create a new one to finish off any existing sentences? If so, how?

Thanks all

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 08:58
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
I believe this is pretty individual Aug 5, 2005

Neil Greenough wrote:

Would it be best to use the same TM for each translation you do and just keeping adding to it if you don't get regular work from the same client or would you suggest using unique TMs?

I use one big "general TM"; a few specific ones for corporate customers who keep coming with a lot of similar texts; and some customers send their own TMs, of course.

Also, if I receive a new translation project from a client, can I use an existing TM to translate it and then create a new one to finish off any existing sentences? If so, how?

In theory, you can analyse the file(s) and automatically translate 100% matches using an existing TM, and then create a new TM to finish the translation. But I would only go this way if the analysis says there are few fuzzy matches (because you are losign those) if at all - I cannot see much use in doing it this way.

Good luck,

Antonin

Pilar T. Bayle  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Modus operandi :-) Aug 5, 2005

I use unique translation memories for clients. Some of them have very specialized vocab that may not agree, totally, with more mainstream jobs, so I don't want to mix that vocab that has taken me hours to research.
What you can do is load a major TM where you just throw everything in as a background check TM. (Go to Options > Translation Memory Options and select the Concordance tab. There you have a Reference (read-only) TM. There you can select that second TM).

Easy. Load the TM you want to use, Tools > Translate. That will populate those segments you have in the memory already. Then you only have to change memories in Workbench and start working.

Best regards,

P.
www.pbayle.com

[Edited at 2005-08-05 11:42]

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Both Aug 5, 2005

I use both solutions.

I have one compiled TM where I have all clean-ups, and for a few of my clients I have specific TMs.

This way I can pre-translate any new job either via my compiled TM, my client specific TM or both.

I only ever had one job holding such specific terminology that I wouldn't use my compiled TM, but then the customer also delivered a TM and terms in Excel.

I guess you will figure out what suits you best along the way.

And - new project: open your compiled TM - Tools - Translate
(choose the file(s)) - then create a new TM for this client; start translating and clean up using this TM (and perhaps also your compiled TM afterwards).

[Edited at 2005-08-05 12:02]

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Individual TMs Aug 6, 2005

I have discovered that individual TMs are easier to manage, and therefore to check and maintain the quality.

I now have a system in place of using one TM per case (I often get regular translations in the same Court case, for example; or I get a series of documents for one customer, all on the same theme).

Using one large TM would probably make quality assurance somewhat difficult.

Astrid

Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:58
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Filter settings Aug 12, 2005

Neil Greenough wrote:

Thanks all

I use one TM per client, but I also use filters for each project. You just have to go to Settings > Project and Filter Settings and then write a short description (I use acronyms, like PM for Project Management), and write them down so you can remember them later.
Whenever you need a particular project's TM you just export using the filter of what you need.

Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One TM or More?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs