Trados 6.5 unable to open this document...
Thread poster: tubylec
tubylec
tubylec
Local time: 01:20
Polish to German
+ ...
Aug 7, 2005

Hi everybody!

I'm running TRDOS 6.5 software under HomeXP and Windows 2000. When I'm trying to open any world file (sample.doc too), I'm getting an error like: 80003: TagEditor is unable to open this document because the file type is not recognised.

What is the problem. Please help.

Mike

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Are you trying to open a Word file in TagEditor 6.5? Aug 7, 2005

Hi Mike,
I'm running TRDOS 6.5 software under HomeXP and Windows 2000.

Office 2000, I assume?

When I'm trying to open any world file (sample.doc too),

...do you mean "Word file"?

I'm getting an error like: 80003: TagEditor is unable to open this document because the file type is not recognised.

The ability to handle Word files was added in TagEditor 7; older versions cannot open Word files.

See the Trados File Formats Reference Guide regarding workflows for specific file formats.

Best regards,
Ralf

tubylec
tubylec
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tutorial Aug 7, 2005

Hi,

thanks for your fast response.

What I'm trying to do is, to learn the software with the attached tutorial (pdf).

The problem starts in menu "Terminology Recognition Options".
In the Multiterm version dropdown should be something like:

MultiTermiX

and I have

MultiTerm 5 (TRADOS5) ?!

The result is when I'm trying to Browse the Termbase Location I don't get the screen with "Select Termbase"
... See more
Hi,

thanks for your fast response.

What I'm trying to do is, to learn the software with the attached tutorial (pdf).

MultiTermiX

and I have

MultiTerm 5 (TRADOS5) ?!

The result is when I'm trying to Browse the Termbase Location I don't get the screen with "Select Termbase". I can't select the Termbase.

What I'm doing wrong?

Regards,

Micha³
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Confusing information... Aug 7, 2005

Hi again,
I'm afraid your information has confused me somewhat...

The Tutorials are not PDF files, but interactive learning programs - which one are you referring to?

...I thought you had a problem opening a Word file in TagEditor? Or has that been sorted out?

MultiTermiX

and I have

MultiTerm 5 (TRADOS5) ?!

Have you installed MultiTerm iX? The terminology software is a separate application, which needs to be installed separately (preferably before Translator's Workbench). If you haven't installed it, Workbench cannot find it. If you have installed it, you must create a termbase to be able to connect to.

Best regards,
Ralf

tubylec
tubylec
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Termbase Aug 7, 2005

Hi,

The Tutorials are not PDF files, but interactive learning programs - which one are you referring to?

I'm reffering to both. PDF - TRADOS Getting Started Guide
and animated - New to TRADOS. Both are beginning with the same setup procedure.

...I thought you had a problem opening a Word file in TagEditor? Or has that been sorted out?

I misunderstud the difference beetwen the world and tageditor...

Have you installed MultiTerm iX? The terminology software is a separate application, which needs to be installed separately (preferably before Translator's Workbench). If you haven't installed it, Workbench cannot find it. If you have installed it, you must create a termbase to be able to connect to.

It looks like I dont't have this Multiterm iX software. So it means: when I want to work with TRADOS I don't need to setup the termbase?!

Best regards,
Micha³

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You can work without terminology recognition Aug 7, 2005

Hi again,
It looks like I dont't have this Multiterm iX software. So it means: when I want to work with TRADOS I don't need to setup the termbase?!

You don't have to, but in this case you should deactivate term recognition (uncheck the setting in Options - Term Recognition).

Best regards,
Ralf

tubylec
tubylec
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 7, 2005

and have a nice day

Micha³

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5 unable to open this document...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »