Mobile menu

Strange jumping behaviour
Thread poster: jmadsen

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:29
Aug 10, 2005

I'm translating a word file (doc) using Word 2002 and Trados 6.5.5.438 (no recent upgrades). The word file contains one large table with one column and one sentence/segment in each cell. Some segments include internal Trados tags (not sure from which program, maybe FM).
When leaving some (not all) segments using Alt++ to go to the next segment, Word jumps 50 lines down in the document, thus skipping a lot of segments and opens a segment there. There's nothing wrong with the segments in between; they can be opened normally.
Any ideas why this is happening? I've worked with Trados almost daily for 9 years now and have never seen this behaviour before.

8) Jørgen

Direct link Reply with quote

Pilar T. Bayle  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
:-) Aug 11, 2005

When leaving some (not all) segments using Alt++ to go to the next segment, Word jumps 50 lines down in the document, thus skipping a lot of segments and opens a segment there.

Not a solution, just some commiseration. I delivered a document yesterday that had the same glitch. I had to open the segments manually, one by one, since trying to jump automatically to the next segment would place me near the end of the document.

So have a cup of coffee and gather your patience... I learnt how to use some interesting shortcuts along the way.

P.
www.pbayle.com

Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 06:29
English to Latvian
+ ...
similar problem Aug 11, 2005

again, with tables in Word format. In my case, 100% matches are not recognized, unless I manually press "get" button for each and every segment. Indeed, patience is required!
Does anyone know how Wordfast deals with tables?

jmadsen  Identity Verified
TOPIC STARTER
Workarounds Aug 11, 2005

Thanks for the comments... nice to know I'm not alone here

Anyway, as a freelancer you get used to finding workarounds and creative solutions to all kinds of problems. In this particular case, I chose not to try and understand Trados but rather make a copy of the file and convert the table into text. After having translated this copy, I could quickly translate the original file using Translate to fuzzy.

Jørgen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange jumping behaviour

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs