Strange jumping behaviour
Thread poster: Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:10
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 10, 2005

I'm translating a word file (doc) using Word 2002 and Trados 6.5.5.438 (no recent upgrades). The word file contains one large table with one column and one sentence/segment in each cell. Some segments include internal Trados tags (not sure from which program, maybe FM).
When leaving some (not all) segments using Alt++ to go to the next segment, Word jumps 50 lines down in the document, thus skipping a lot of segments and opens a segment there. There's nothing wrong with the segments in bet
... See more
I'm translating a word file (doc) using Word 2002 and Trados 6.5.5.438 (no recent upgrades). The word file contains one large table with one column and one sentence/segment in each cell. Some segments include internal Trados tags (not sure from which program, maybe FM).
When leaving some (not all) segments using Alt++ to go to the next segment, Word jumps 50 lines down in the document, thus skipping a lot of segments and opens a segment there. There's nothing wrong with the segments in between; they can be opened normally.
Any ideas why this is happening? I've worked with Trados almost daily for 9 years now and have never seen this behaviour before.

8) Jørgen
Collapse

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
:-) Aug 11, 2005

When leaving some (not all) segments using Alt++ to go to the next segment, Word jumps 50 lines down in the document, thus skipping a lot of segments and opens a segment there.

Not a solution, just some commiseration. I delivered a document yesterday that had the same glitch. I had to open the segments manually, one by one, since trying to jump automatically to the next segment would place me near the end of the document.

So have a cup of coffee and gather your patience... I learnt how to use some interesting shortcuts along the way.

P.
www.pbayle.com

Austra Muizniece
Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 22:10
English to Latvian
+ ...
similar problem Aug 11, 2005

again, with tables in Word format. In my case, 100% matches are not recognized, unless I manually press "get" button for each and every segment. Indeed, patience is required!
Does anyone know how Wordfast deals with tables?

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workarounds Aug 11, 2005

Thanks for the comments... nice to know I'm not alone here

Anyway, as a freelancer you get used to finding workarounds and creative solutions to all kinds of problems. In this particular case, I chose not to try and understand Trados but rather make a copy of the file and convert the table into text. After having translated this copy, I could quickly translate the original file using Translate to fuzzy.

... See more
Thanks for the comments... nice to know I'm not alone here

Anyway, as a freelancer you get used to finding workarounds and creative solutions to all kinds of problems. In this particular case, I chose not to try and understand Trados but rather make a copy of the file and convert the table into text. After having translated this copy, I could quickly translate the original file using Translate to fuzzy.

Jørgen
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange jumping behaviour

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »