Thread poster: AnneM (X)
AnneM (X)
AnneM (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 13, 2005

hi there,

My computer was damaged by a power surge a couple of days ago and I have just got it back from the repair shop.

Trados is up and running but in demo mode as it is obviously not recognising the license.

Can anybody tell me what I should do in this case please?

Thanks,

Anne

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details, please Aug 13, 2005

Hi Anne,
Can you please tell us a bit more:
- Are you using a dongle (USB or parallel) or license file?
- If you're using a dongle, could it have been damaged by the power surge, too?
- Which operating system are you using?

Best regards, Ralf

AnneM (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More details! Aug 13, 2005

Sorry!

I am using a license file.

Am using Windows XP.

I entered my Trados download page and regenerated my license in the hope that this would help but it hasn't.

Thanks,

Anne

Richard Hall
Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:52
Italian to English
+ ...
Soft licence keys Aug 13, 2005

I also had problems a little while ago with my licence.

The key activates Trados by looking at the number of the Ethernet card or the hard disk (when you install the licence you decide which to use). Any changes to the referenced hardware means the licence becomes invalid. Since you had a surge and there was a crash, was the hard disk or the ethernet card changed? If so you will need a new licence. My licence key for instance is reference to my ethernet card and I discovered a littl
... See more
I also had problems a little while ago with my licence.

The key activates Trados by looking at the number of the Ethernet card or the hard disk (when you install the licence you decide which to use). Any changes to the referenced hardware means the licence becomes invalid. Since you had a surge and there was a crash, was the hard disk or the ethernet card changed? If so you will need a new licence. My licence key for instance is reference to my ethernet card and I discovered a little while ago that when I take my computer off my howm network (an ethernet connection) all Trados programmes only open in display mode.

Normally when you get Trados there are two license keys meaning that you can download a second key. If you do so you MUST re-generate your licence number, especially if there have been any changes to your hardware.

If you've tried to obtain the second key and generated the wrong number then the next step is to contact the Trados sales rep for the geographic location of the address you gave Trados when you purchased the software. You then have to continue to badger Trados for a response.
If you don't know who that person is then you could try to speak to Trados, Stuttgart and explain the problem to them. If you're lucky them may be prepared to help.

One additional point, my experience was all pre SDL. I do not know if things have changed now.

Best of luck
Collapse

AnneM (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem resolved Aug 13, 2005

Thanks for your help.

I have resolved the problem by regenerating the license, entering the license manager in Trados Workbench, and adding the link to the new license file.

Thanks to your both for your support,

Anne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

License problems

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »