https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/35658-general_question_on_analysis.html

General Question on Analysis
Thread poster: Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 14, 2005

Hi.

I have a general question on analysis. I'm sure I know how to do this, but I'm having a "mushy-brained Sunday", so I beg your indulgence.

I have a project that I have been asked to bid on. It consists of documents A, B, C, D, and E.

They are all different docs. There are some similarities between them, but they're mostly different.

I need to quote a rate to translate doc B, for example, based on the breakdown of its reps/fuzzies/no-match
... See more
Hi.

I have a general question on analysis. I'm sure I know how to do this, but I'm having a "mushy-brained Sunday", so I beg your indulgence.

I have a project that I have been asked to bid on. It consists of documents A, B, C, D, and E.

They are all different docs. There are some similarities between them, but they're mostly different.

I need to quote a rate to translate doc B, for example, based on the breakdown of its reps/fuzzies/no-matches with doc A.

So let's suppose I get that doc A has the following breakdown:

Reps/100% = 10,000 words
Fuzzies/No-Match = 5,000 words

And doc B has

Reps/100% = 2,000 words
Fuzzies/No-Match = 3,000 words

The final totals are that there are 12,000 reps/100% and 8,000 fuzzies/no-match, right?

Well, I need to know how I can quote doc B to take into account its INTERNAL reps + reps with Doc A .. but NOT include the INTERNAL reps of doc A in that number.

How do I distinguish this?

Hope I explained myself well.

Thanks.
Sandra
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 20:49
English to German
+ ...
total project cost or hourly rate Aug 14, 2005

Hi! that is a way to do it if your client is not giving you a TM, so that this calculation finds applicability. But with the TM, set a standard price for all files and quote as totals also offer hourly rate as a good alternative. Best regards, Brandis

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
I do not understand Aug 14, 2005

Sandra Alboum wrote:

having a "mushy-brained Sunday", so I beg your indulgence.

I need to quote a rate to translate doc B, for example, based on the breakdown of its reps/fuzzies/no-matches with doc A.

I suppose you have a empty TM.

Well, repetitions are in no other part than in your analysed document.

Cause your TM is empty you have NO 100%

So

The repetitions you find in A haven't nothing to do with B

t its INTERNAL reps + reps with Doc A .. but NOT include the INTERNAL reps of doc A in that number.

How do I distinguish this?

There are only internal reps!

Ciao

[Edited at 2005-08-15 19:29]

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Some maths... Aug 14, 2005

I hope understood you right.

The following formula should hold
Rapetions A+B = Repetitions A + Repetitions B - Repetions in both A and B

What you need is repetions in B and not in A which is equivalent to

Repetions B - Repetitons in both A and B = Repetitions A+B - Repetitions A

Therefore you analyse both files with an empty TM and substract repetitions from analysis of file A with an empty TM.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
What exactly is the problem you're trying to solve? Aug 15, 2005

You can do one of two things, depending on what exactly you're trying to achieve:

THE SIMPLE WAY
Either perform an analysis of all files at once, taking the detailed figures from the individual analysis results and the totals from "Analyse Total (x files):".

THE SOPHISTICATED WAY
Or analyze file A first, then check the box that says "Use TM from Previous Analysis", then add file B to the list, enter a name for the second analysis log file and analyze B with
... See more
You can do one of two things, depending on what exactly you're trying to achieve:

THE SIMPLE WAY
Either perform an analysis of all files at once, taking the detailed figures from the individual analysis results and the totals from "Analyse Total (x files):".

THE SOPHISTICATED WAY
Or analyze file A first, then check the box that says "Use TM from Previous Analysis", then add file B to the list, enter a name for the second analysis log file and analyze B with these settings. This way you'll get separate logs detailing not only the number of internal repetitions IN A, IN B etc. but also how many matches and fuzzies will result from translating A first, then B [, then C etc. - you can just append steps to the above procedure for the other files].

For more info on the "Use TM from Previous Analysis" function, consult the Trados help file. One word of caution: The actual reusability and thus savings resulting from TM usage may vary from these figures due to technical reasons. Sometimes the analysis results actually get "worse" as work continues and the TM gets filled more and more.

Without insight into the inner workings of the Trados matching algorithms, I can only speculate, but it seems to me the reason is -simply speaking- that certain segments "slide" into a lower match category because once the translations for these segments are in, Trados recognizes that the tags or formatting or other attributes contained in them are different from occurrence to occurrence and applies the according penalties.

I suspect this oddity might be the result of a runtime performance optimization in Trados. If Translator's workbench had to "construe" the not yet existing fuzzy matches "on the fly" during the initial analysis, it might take ages to finish...

Anyway - HTH,
Benjamin

[Edited the title of this posting. Looked unfriendly although it wasn't meant to be. ]

[Edited at 2005-08-15 12:47]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

General Question on Analysis

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »