Problem with segmentation (paragraph mark)
Thread poster: Maciej Pomorski
Maciej Pomorski
Maciej Pomorski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:30
Member (2005)
German to Polish
+ ...
Aug 14, 2005

Hello,
My problem appears in Trados 6.5.5 Tranlator's Workbench, used with MS-Word 2003 on an rtf file.

Recently, I received a translation job where paragraph marks don't separate sentences, but appear within sentences. I would like TRADOS to ignore the paragraph mark during segmentation. I tried to do it in setup -> segmentation rules (end rules) where I deleted "End of Paragraph" from the list.

Unfortunately, when I resumed the translation I found out th
... See more
Hello,
My problem appears in Trados 6.5.5 Tranlator's Workbench, used with MS-Word 2003 on an rtf file.

Recently, I received a translation job where paragraph marks don't separate sentences, but appear within sentences. I would like TRADOS to ignore the paragraph mark during segmentation. I tried to do it in setup -> segmentation rules (end rules) where I deleted "End of Paragraph" from the list.

Unfortunately, when I resumed the translation I found out that I couldn't open any new segment - when I tried it, i got the error message "No text to translate at cursor position".

Please help - it's really annoying to translate segments with only parts of sentences.

Best regards,

Maciej.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is not a segmentation problem Aug 14, 2005

but a very problem with the formatting of your source text.

You don´t dare to remove the paragraph mark from the segmentation rules!

If you have the source document, correct the formatting there.
If not, make a try and delete the paragraph mark in your target document, translate this piece of text and send it to your customer to check, if the import into source application does work (usually it does).

The best you can do, if you don´t have source, i
... See more
but a very problem with the formatting of your source text.

You don´t dare to remove the paragraph mark from the segmentation rules!

If you have the source document, correct the formatting there.
If not, make a try and delete the paragraph mark in your target document, translate this piece of text and send it to your customer to check, if the import into source application does work (usually it does).

The best you can do, if you don´t have source, is to ask for a Trados prepared file from a proper formatted document, where paragraph marks are used to separate paragraphs, not just only to break lines at desired points.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2005-08-14 21:18]
Collapse

Maciej Pomorski
Maciej Pomorski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to remove automatically all paragraph marks? Aug 15, 2005

Could you tell me, how to remove all paragraph marks from the document? It has 400 pages so I'd rather not remove them manually

Thank you a lot for your advice.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Search and Replace Aug 15, 2005

Hi Maciej,
You can use Search and Replace.
However, I wouldn't recommend replacing all paragraph marks, as this will also remove those that are required.

The behaviour you describe is typical for texts transferred from PDF using Copy/Paste, for example - in such cases, it's a good idea to charge extra for the additional work involved.

Best regards,
Ralf

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
A small how-to for text copied from a PDF with paragraph breaks Aug 15, 2005

Maciej Pomorski wrote:

Could you tell me, how to remove all paragraph marks from the document? It has 400 pages so I'd rather not remove them manually

Thank you a lot for your advice.

In Word, first replace double paragraph marks (these delimit the end of a paragraph) as follows:

Find: ^p^p

Replace with: $$$

$$$ can be any sequence of characters that does not occur in the translated text and can be used as a temporary placeholder.

Then:

Find: ^p
Replace with:^l

^l stands for a line break, or you can use a space instead of the ^l mark.

And finally:

Find: $$$
Replace with: ^p^p

Or you can use ^p instead of ^p^p if you like.

HTH

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with segmentation (paragraph mark)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »