https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/35765-forcing_a_segment_to_include_the_%B4%B4symbol_eg_1_gang.html

Forcing a segment to include the ´.´symbol (e.g. 1. Gang)
Thread poster: Languageman
Languageman
Languageman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:13
German to English
+ ...
Aug 18, 2005

This has probably been asked a dozen times, but since the search tool also has fun with ´.´ I can´t for the life of me find anything.

Example: I have a text in German talking about gearboxes which refers to "1. Gang", "2. Gang" etc. I´m under strict instructions not to modify the source in any way.

Problem: How do I get Trados to treat "1. Gang" etc. as a single segment, without turning of the auto number recognition all together?

Thanks in advance for
... See more
This has probably been asked a dozen times, but since the search tool also has fun with ´.´ I can´t for the life of me find anything.

Example: I have a text in German talking about gearboxes which refers to "1. Gang", "2. Gang" etc. I´m under strict instructions not to modify the source in any way.

Problem: How do I get Trados to treat "1. Gang" etc. as a single segment, without turning of the auto number recognition all together?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stephen
Collapse

nrgetic
nrgetic  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:13
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
The key is the user list Aug 18, 2005

Hi Steven,

The solution lies in the User list. This list may cointain all the abreviations a file contains in order to tell Trados that those dots that go with the abbreviation do not mark the end of the sentence.

All you have to do is create a word file containing those abbreviations or expressions (ex. "1.") and copy/paste them in the User List window (Open File>Setup>Segmentation rules>Users list>Abreviations).

I hope this will help.

Best.... See more
Hi Steven,

The solution lies in the User list. This list may cointain all the abreviations a file contains in order to tell Trados that those dots that go with the abbreviation do not mark the end of the sentence.

All you have to do is create a word file containing those abbreviations or expressions (ex. "1.") and copy/paste them in the User List window (Open File>Setup>Segmentation rules>Users list>Abreviations).

I hope this will help.

Best.

Natalia
Collapse

Languageman
Languageman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:13
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip Aug 18, 2005

Natalia Rodriguez wrote:

...The solution lies in the User list.

Hi Natalia,

Thanks for the tip, I think you´re right, unfortunately it still doesn´t work. I think this has something to do with using an old TM imported into Version 7.0. I´ve played around with User Lists and Ordinal Follower Lists, all to no avail. Ho hum, think the customer will have to sort it out this time.

Cheers,

Stephen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forcing a segment to include the ´.´symbol (e.g. 1. Gang)

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »