kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:07
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 18, 2005

I have had difficulties using this. In the bilingual word documents I am translating, according to MS Word a lot of the translated segments are in the source language, not the target language. Obviously that implies that I cannot us MS Word proof reading.
Also, is there a way in Trados to proofread only the segments in a bilingual word document that you have translated yourself, not the pre-translated or 100% matches?

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Language Aug 18, 2005

If you copy the source and then translate it, then the target will be in the source language. If you start translating in an empty segment, then it will be in your target language. But in the end, you can always hide the source (if it's displayed), select all and change the language.

I don't think there is a way to skip pretranslated or 100% matches.

By the way, do you mean proofreading, or spellchecking?

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Not that difficult Aug 18, 2005

I often encounter this "problem", but it's easy to fix.

When you have translated the document, you simply go to Edit > Select All (this selects all text in the doc).
Then you go to Functions > Language (chose the source language, and make sure that nothing is checked in the two boxes at the bottom).
Then you can simply start the spellchecking.

The problem here might be that you should clean the doc with Trados before spellchecking this way, and then any co
... See more
I often encounter this "problem", but it's easy to fix.

When you have translated the document, you simply go to Edit > Select All (this selects all text in the doc).
Then you go to Functions > Language (chose the source language, and make sure that nothing is checked in the two boxes at the bottom).
Then you can simply start the spellchecking.

The problem here might be that you should clean the doc with Trados before spellchecking this way, and then any corrected parts will not appear in your TM. This could then be remedied by making a WinAlign.

If you have used TagEditor for the translation, you can simply make TagEditor do the spellcheck.

That's the way I do it anyway.
Collapse

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Control-Alt-+ Aug 18, 2005

If you are proof-reading a translation which you have already done and don't want to open the repetitions, pretranslateds and 100% matches, you can use Control-Alt-+ (plus sign on the numerical keypad) to skip over these. A real time-saver which I stumbled upon recently ...

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:07
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not necessary to clean up the document first Aug 18, 2005

Hi,

There is no need to clean-up the file first and then incorporate changes that are not in your TM by using Winalign.

To perform a spellcheck, there is a short cut:

You simply have to uncheck the "hidden text" box in Word (under tools/options/formatting marks). Bear with me - my version of XP is Portuguese, so look for something similar in the English or other versions.

Then, you'll only have the target text (although the document is still un
... See more
Hi,

There is no need to clean-up the file first and then incorporate changes that are not in your TM by using Winalign.

To perform a spellcheck, there is a short cut:

You simply have to uncheck the "hidden text" box in Word (under tools/options/formatting marks). Bear with me - my version of XP is Portuguese, so look for something similar in the English or other versions.

Then, you'll only have the target text (although the document is still uncleaned)

"Select all" under edit and set the language to your target language that you want to perform the spellcheck in.

If you see a spelling error, open the relevant segment. It will open as normal in Trados by just placing your cursor at the start of your segment even though you don't see any links. You can then correct it and set+close the segment again. Once again you'll only see the target text but the change will be in the TM.

Once it's done, then you can clean up. Changes to the TM are incorporated and there is no need for the Winalign rigmarole.

Hope this helps
Debs

Collapse

Lugubert
Lugubert
English to Swedish
+ ...
Setting language Aug 18, 2005

I'm not sure that my way is the most efficient one, but:

If Trados and Word don't understand that my target is Swedish, I mark the segment and hit my shortcut key combination for my macro to set the language. Then, usually, the Word online spellcheck works. For some curious reason, that check won't work with fancy fonts. Then I either use the last method mentioned (not showing hidden text etc.), or spellcheck after cleaning.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using MS Word proof reading in Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »