Thread poster: Silvia Gentili
Silvia Gentili
Silvia Gentili  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:06
English to Spanish
Aug 20, 2005

Hello

I have Trados 6.5 and Multiterm iX and I am trying to convert an xls. glosary into an .xlm to then, import it to a termbase by using the Conversion Tool (Trados)

Now my question is

1- Do excel glossaries need to have a special format to be imported? (I mean as regards the set up of columns and cells)

Thanks for your helping hand !

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 04:06
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
MultiTerm Convert Aug 21, 2005

Do excel glossaries need to have a special format to be imported?

Yes, there are some preconditions. They are described on the first page of MT Convert's help.

Silvia Gentili
Silvia Gentili  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:06
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Conversion Tool Aug 21, 2005

Hynek
Thank you very much for your help!; I got the help manual and I am already converting glossaries:)

Regards

S.G.

lisevs
lisevs
Need some help too Aug 22, 2005

Hi,

I seem not to be as smart as Silvia - I also want to convert a xls-glossary (1st column German, 2nd column Danish) to use it with MultiTerm but it doesn't work.

May be someone could give me a really easy explanation of how to prepare the xls-file so that it works out ok.'

Thank you very much in advance

BR from rainy Vienna 8)

lise

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Conversion Aug 22, 2005

Lise - where exactly did you fail? The instructions in MT Convert are quite simple...

lisevs
lisevs
Confused by Headings in xls-file Aug 22, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Lise - where exactly did you fail? The instructions in MT Convert are quite simple...

yes, you are right. In my first attempt I was confused because the headings of the two columns in the xl-file were "Field1" and "Field2" - so I mixed up Index and Field definitions - but now everything works fine

thanks for your help

lise

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Converting Excel doesn't work for me... Sep 7, 2005

Hi
I've read all of the above, but I must be fundamentally stupid because I can't import my Excel glossaries. Here's my situation; perhaps someone can point out my obvious mistake?

My termbase is a simple, bilingual glossary. The index fields are Italian and English. In my Excel file, I have two columns of data, headed with the column names "Italian" and "English" on the first line. This follows the formatting instructions in the MT Convert help file.

MT Convert
... See more
Hi
I've read all of the above, but I must be fundamentally stupid because I can't import my Excel glossaries. Here's my situation; perhaps someone can point out my obvious mistake?

My termbase is a simple, bilingual glossary. The index fields are Italian and English. In my Excel file, I have two columns of data, headed with the column names "Italian" and "English" on the first line. This follows the formatting instructions in the MT Convert help file.

MT Convert does convert the file to XML, but then when I import it in MultiTerm, all the entries are excluded because they don't conform to the termbase definition.

Help!
Colm
Collapse

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
It's OK Sep 7, 2005

Hi

It's OK now, I've worked it out. (I was indeed fundamentally stupid; I didn't know that MT Convert would also define the termbase for me.)

Hope I haven't wasted anybody's time.
Colm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5_Conversion Tool

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »