How can I restore a termbase from a bak file?
Thread poster: Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:18
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 23, 2005

Well, I managed to accidentally delete a termbase and now all I can find is the bak file (*.mdb.bak). Can this be used to restore the termbase? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:18
English to Danish
+ ...
I don't know for sure, but... Aug 23, 2005

I would navigate to the file using Windows Explorer.
Highlight the .bak file, hit F2 to delete the ".bak" bit to rename the file to have the extension ".mdb". Then double-click this file to open. Hope it works, haven't tried it myself...

Jørgen

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:18
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved and more background Aug 24, 2005

This happened while upgrading from Multiterm iX to Multiterm 7. Even though I thought I'd read the instructions carefully, I didn't export the termbase correctly and ended up with just the bak file as described earlier.

Then I read in one of Ralph's posts that the mdb files would not have the user-friendly names we give them but rather Multiterm-assigned names, so I was able to locate one such file that because of the size I believed contained my termbase. The file was unusable
... See more
This happened while upgrading from Multiterm iX to Multiterm 7. Even though I thought I'd read the instructions carefully, I didn't export the termbase correctly and ended up with just the bak file as described earlier.

Then I read in one of Ralph's posts that the mdb files would not have the user-friendly names we give them but rather Multiterm-assigned names, so I was able to locate one such file that because of the size I believed contained my termbase. The file was unusable in Multiterm 7 and I didn't want to have to go back and reinstall Multiterm iX just for this, so I opened it in Access (a lot of garbled characters but my entries were there), then did a simple copy-paste to an Excel file, checked the two columns to make sure they matched (sometimes they didn't and I had to fix that, but it didn't take an awfully long time). Then I used Multiterm Convert (great tool!) to convert the Excel file into xml, imported the xml entries into a new Multiterm 7 termbase and now everything is working fine. The whole process took no longer than 10 minutes (for 500+ entries), so I was very pleased.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I restore a termbase from a bak file?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »