https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/35985-how_can_i_restore_a_termbase_from_a_bak_file.html

How can I restore a termbase from a bak file?
Thread poster: Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:04
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 23, 2005

Well, I managed to accidentally delete a termbase and now all I can find is the bak file (*.mdb.bak). Can this be used to restore the termbase? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:04
English to Danish
+ ...
I don't know for sure, but... Aug 23, 2005

I would navigate to the file using Windows Explorer.
Highlight the .bak file, hit F2 to delete the ".bak" bit to rename the file to have the extension ".mdb". Then double-click this file to open. Hope it works, haven't tried it myself...

Jørgen

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:04
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved and more background Aug 24, 2005

This happened while upgrading from Multiterm iX to Multiterm 7. Even though I thought I'd read the instructions carefully, I didn't export the termbase correctly and ended up with just the bak file as described earlier.

Then I read in one of Ralph's posts that the mdb files would not have the user-friendly names we give them but rather Multiterm-assigned names, so I was able to locate one such file that because of the size I believed contained my termbase. The file was unusable
... See more
This happened while upgrading from Multiterm iX to Multiterm 7. Even though I thought I'd read the instructions carefully, I didn't export the termbase correctly and ended up with just the bak file as described earlier.

Then I read in one of Ralph's posts that the mdb files would not have the user-friendly names we give them but rather Multiterm-assigned names, so I was able to locate one such file that because of the size I believed contained my termbase. The file was unusable in Multiterm 7 and I didn't want to have to go back and reinstall Multiterm iX just for this, so I opened it in Access (a lot of garbled characters but my entries were there), then did a simple copy-paste to an Excel file, checked the two columns to make sure they matched (sometimes they didn't and I had to fix that, but it didn't take an awfully long time). Then I used Multiterm Convert (great tool!) to convert the Excel file into xml, imported the xml entries into a new Multiterm 7 termbase and now everything is working fine. The whole process took no longer than 10 minutes (for 500+ entries), so I was very pleased.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I restore a termbase from a bak file?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »