Mobile menu

Organising termbases... an architecture proposal
Thread poster: Colin Ryan
Colin Ryan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:16
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 7, 2005

I've been given the joyless task of porting all my client's glossaries to MultiTerm.

My client has an enormous number of glossaries in Word, Excel, Acrobat and even scanned bits of paper, which are currently organised by client and by sector. A term often appears in more than one glossary, which I suppose is hardly unusual in the industry.

Since a MultiTerm termbase is only as helpful as its organisation, I'm thinking carefully about the architecture. Has anyone else done this sort of migration? Here's my idea:

- have a multilingual termbase for each sector (e.g. tourism, in all languages my client provides)
- have a multilingual termbase for each client where necessary, but make sure the translators know that these should be kept small and that the sector-based termbases should be updated as a priority
- have a human being (yours truly...) go through the client termbases regularly to police the policies

Any opinions...?
Colm

Direct link Reply with quote

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
I guess it depends on what the client wants. Sep 7, 2005

Creating individual termbases for each division of the co. might be a good idea, but it will not ensure overall consistency of the use of terms in the co. in general.

On the other hand, using individual termbases will ensure consistency within the different divisions (and will make you life easier).

I would ask the client what is expected.

I don't envy you this job ;o)

Greta Vera  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Perhaps you could help me out as well Sep 8, 2005

Hello Colm

I am also putting all my glossaries into Multiterm and I have no clue where to start! I have so many in Acrobat and the others are in Word. Do you have an easier way to convert the Acrobat documents into word instead of Copy-Paste? And an easier way to put the terms into a table format to be imported into excel?

What I am doing is organize my termbases by sector.

Thanks,

Greta

Colin Ryan  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Suggestions Sep 8, 2005

Greta Vera wrote:

I have so many in Acrobat and the others are in Word. Do you have an easier way to convert the Acrobat documents into word instead of Copy-Paste? And an easier way to put the terms into a table format to be imported into excel?

Greta

Hi Greta,

Your goal is to create tables in Word, which you can then copy (column by column) into an empty Excel spreadsheet.
So how do you create your tables in Word?
A lot depends on the format of the data. Word has a "convert to table" feature. It's not bad... try it on some lists of sample data so that you can get an idea of how Word thinks your data is (or should be) organised. Then you can manually rearrange your data, or possibly write a macro in Word to do it.
Hope this helps.
Colm

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
You could use FineReader OCR for Acrobat files Sep 8, 2005

In that, you can define the table structure (preferably, "force" it by hand, do not use the automatic defintion of layout) before recognition, and export directly to Excel after recongition.

Antonin

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Converting Acrobat documents Sep 8, 2005

Greta Vera wrote:

Do you have an easier way to convert the Acrobat documents into word instead of Copy-Paste?

Definitely. You can use a PDF converter or an OCR application. I suggest you search the forums, there were many threads on this topic.

kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Why not one big termbase Sep 8, 2005

I am new to MultiTerm but looking at the documentation I would say: why not use one single termbase and manage industry, client etc. through fields? For a given task you can then apply filters, e.g. Client = Acme, or Industry = Tourism. Would appreciate if anyone having experience with big termbases could chip in.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Organising termbases... an architecture proposal

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs