Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
'Microsoft Visual Basic' Run-time error '424' when starting Word 2003 with Multiterm 7
Thread poster: Caro Maucher
Caro Maucher
Caro Maucher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:15
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 8, 2005

Multiterm 7.0.1.320
Word 2003

Every time I start Word, I'm getting the error message:

'Microsoft Visual Basic' run-time error '424': Object required.

I've tried deleting the multiterm7.dot file from Word's startup folder, and tada, the error message disappears. But then, so does Multiterm. I've also tried deinstalling and re-installing Multiterm, to no avail.
It's not really a big problem, I just click on 'end' in the error message and then it'
... See more
Multiterm 7.0.1.320
Word 2003

I've tried deleting the multiterm7.dot file from Word's startup folder, and tada, the error message disappears. But then, so does Multiterm. I've also tried deinstalling and re-installing Multiterm, to no avail.
It's not really a big problem, I just click on 'end' in the error message and then it's business as usual, but I do find this kind of thing annoying.
Has anybody else encountered this? Any ideas? Thank you!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
.NET framework installed? Sep 9, 2005

Hi Caro,
Did you install the .NET framework when installing Trados 7?
Which version of .NET is installed on your computer?

You could also try to (re-)register the software, using the item provided in the Programs menu.

Best regards,
Ralf

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
New MT build Sep 9, 2005

Hi Caro,

Back in July when MT7 was released, one of the members of the TW_users group had your problem:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/messages/32207

Unfortunately, nobody seems to have replied to the group but since there were no further messages, I assume the gentleman concerned sorted things out. You could try contacting him through t
... See more
Hi Caro,

Back in July when MT7 was released, one of the members of the TW_users group had your problem:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/messages/32207

Unfortunately, nobody seems to have replied to the group but since there were no further messages, I assume the gentleman concerned sorted things out. You could try contacting him through the list.

As Ralf says, the first thing to do is check you have the latest .NET framework installed. It is bundled with WB7, and the installations wizard will have prompted you to install it before installing WB, but you may have skipped this step.

Note also that there is a new build of MT7 available (7.0.2.327), which I downloaded yesterday from the Trados Customer Center (you'll need you Customer Center ID and password). MT7.0.1.320 apparently had various little bugs that Trados said it would tidy up in subsequent builds.

HTH

Giles
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
You might need to re-install Microsoft Windows Script 5.6 Sep 9, 2005

Caro Giese wrote:

Multiterm 7.0.1.320
Word 2003

As far as I know, Trados uses the Microsoft Scripting Runtime (scrrun.dll) for some tasks. Sometimes other program remove this library when they're uninstalled. Check your systen folder (usually C:\WINDOWS\system32) for scrrun.dll. If it's not in the folder,you can download the installer from Microsoft. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/list/webdev.asp).

Olaf

Caro Maucher
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.Net is installed, so is scrrun.dll Sep 9, 2005

Thanks for your help so far!

@ Ralf: Yes, I have the .NET framework installed. I'm not quite sure where to find the version number, but using the explorer, in the .net folder I find the folders 'v.1.0.3705' and 'v.1.1.4322'.

So far I haven't found the registering option. I believe I did register it, but who knows... Do I need to register Multiterm separately from Trados?

@ Giles: Nice tip, thanks! I posted a reply to the gentleman, but no response yet. Rea
... See more
Thanks for your help so far!

@ Ralf: Yes, I have the .NET framework installed. I'm not quite sure where to find the version number, but using the explorer, in the .net folder I find the folders 'v.1.0.3705' and 'v.1.1.4322'.

So far I haven't found the registering option. I believe I did register it, but who knows... Do I need to register Multiterm separately from Trados?

@ Giles: Nice tip, thanks! I posted a reply to the gentleman, but no response yet. Reading through his post, I noticed I also have the other problems he described - getting the error message when trying to work with the Multiterm Taskbar in Word. So I reckon the problem ist bigger than I thought. )c:

@ Olaf: The file you mention is right here where it belongs.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Registering Trados software Sep 9, 2005

Hi Caro,

So far I haven't found the registering option.

Start - Programs - Trados 7 - Register Trados 7.

I believe I did register it, but who knows... Do I need to register Multiterm separately from Trados?

No, this registers all Trados applications.

Best regards,
Ralf

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Look for $2k_XPSelfRegister.bat Sep 9, 2005

Caro Giese wrote:

This registration has nothing to do with licensing. It refers to registration of program libraries with the operating system. If you cannot find a menu option, you should look for a batch file (.bat) in the TT subfolder. You might have two files one of them should be $2k_XPSelfRegister.bat (the name might vary). Simply double-click the file to register all Trados components.

Olaf

Caro Maucher
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Registration successful, but that's the only thing that was... Sep 10, 2005

I found the registration option right where Ralf said I would (sorry for bothering you with trivialities!). I've registered all components of Trados, but the problem persists. )c:

Caro Maucher
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No MultiTerm menu item either Sep 11, 2005

Just another detail I just noticed, I don't have the additional MultiTerm menu item in the menu bar either...
and I get the same error message when I try opening a Term base in word.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
I had a very similar problem with trados.dot Sep 11, 2005

I corrected it by renaming the "AutoExec" module of trados.dot to AutoOpen. Trados support had told me to drop my "normal.dot" and use the standard one instead, but I could not do that beacuse I would have lost my macros , etc. But if you have not customized your normal.dot or can renew your customization easily, it is one of the possible actions you could take. Close Word, delete normal.dot in ...Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates, re-open Word, and the standard ... See more
I corrected it by renaming the "AutoExec" module of trados.dot to AutoOpen. Trados support had told me to drop my "normal.dot" and use the standard one instead, but I could not do that beacuse I would have lost my macros , etc. But if you have not customized your normal.dot or can renew your customization easily, it is one of the possible actions you could take. Close Word, delete normal.dot in ...Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates, re-open Word, and the standard normal.dot will be automatically loaded. You have a good chance "your" error will not be there.

If you do not wish to lose your normal.dot, or the return to the standard normal.dot does not help, the procedure would be more complicated and I am not sure the forum members here would be interested. You can contact me via my profile if you want to hear about that.

Antonin
Collapse

Caro Maucher
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hooray! (c: Sep 12, 2005

Thanks Antonin, that was brilliant!
I did as you said, deleted normal.dot, normal1.dot and normal2.dot (what a crowd!) and now it's working! Everythings's working! Hooray! (c:

Thanks again everybody and have an excellent day!

heidi wolf
heidi wolf
Local time: 05:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
IT WORKED!!! Feb 15, 2007

Caro Giese wrote:

Thanks Antonin, that was brilliant!
I did as you said, deleted normal.dot, normal1.dot and normal2.dot (what a crowd!) and now it's working! Everythings's working! Hooray! (c:

Thanks again everybody and have an excellent day!

kleanbsf (X)
kleanbsf (X)
English to Albanian
+ ...
I still have this problem, even after deleting Normal.dot Sep 24, 2007

I still have this problem, even after deleting Normal.dot.

Nina Rose (X)
Nina Rose (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
The easy approach: Replace Trados7.dot and MultiTerm7.dot Feb 17, 2008

Run-time error 424 occurs when Word is trying to activate Trados and/or MultiTerm menus, but fails to do so. One possible reason for the failure is corrupted template .DOT files.

First thing to try is to refresh copies of Trados7.dot and MultiTerm7.dot files to C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP folder.
Copy these files from C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2006\TT\Templates and C:\Program Files\TRADOS\MultiTerm\Templates fold
... See more
Run-time error 424 occurs when Word is trying to activate Trados and/or MultiTerm menus, but fails to do so. One possible reason for the failure is corrupted template .DOT files.

First thing to try is to refresh copies of Trados7.dot and MultiTerm7.dot files to C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP folder.
Copy these files from C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2006\TT\Templates and C:\Program Files\TRADOS\MultiTerm\Templates folders respectively and paste them to Word\STARTUP folder overriding existing files.

(from the SDL support site)

This worked for me)

[Edited at 2008-02-17 12:10]
Collapse

Caro Maucher
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for contributing! Feb 18, 2008

(c:

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Microsoft Visual Basic' Run-time error '424' when starting Word 2003 with Multiterm 7

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »