Mobile menu

Still waiting for the epiphany on MultiTerm...
Thread poster: Paul Kozelka

Paul Kozelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:44
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Sep 9, 2005

I have Trados & MultiTerm 6.5. Reading through the various calls for help and responses in this forum, I see a number of people who were totally lost and then, shazzam!, suddenly discovered how to create a termbase and import from an Excel file. "Just read the straightforward instructions in MultiTerm (Convert)" seems to be the advice in many cases. I do not consider myself a techno-dummy but have tried 10 times to import Excel files and the best I get is just the source language. I should add that, after many hours of studying them, along with time-consuming trial and error, I do not find the Help instructions either straightforward or simple. For one, there are too many options, thus too many ways to go wrong. I don't want to specify any options...I just want a simple bilingual glossary from a simple Excel file (which already contains index headers, etc.). Trados seems to be more interested in selling its new version than in providing simple help, and the Yahoo TW User's Group is a nearly hopeless labyrinth. I am willing to pay for help (since I'm losing money by not having the use of Term glossaries)if someone has a simple set of instructions or is willing to walk me through the steps by e-mail, MSN, Yahoo Msgr or Skype.

Direct link Reply with quote

Cristóbal del Río Faura  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
The options Sep 9, 2005

Hi Paul,

You are right, Trados manuals tend to rely on some kind of esoteric science. Try following the normal process, but ignoring all the options, i.e. just clicking "Next" almost all the time. It worked for me yesterday when converting a Multiterm 5 glossary to Multiterm 7.

Good luck,
Cr

Colin Ryan  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I did it yesterday... (excel to multiterm)... epiphany attached Sep 9, 2005

Paul Kozelka wrote:

I have Trados & MultiTerm 6.5. Reading through the various calls for help and responses in this forum, I see a number of people who were totally lost and then, shazzam!, suddenly discovered how to create a termbase and import from an Excel file. "Just read the straightforward instructions in MultiTerm (Convert)" seems to be the advice in many cases. I do not consider myself a techno-dummy but have tried 10 times to import Excel files and the best I get is just the source language.

I had the same problem 2 days ago, and what I was doing wrong was this: first I created a termbase, and then I tried to import my Excel bilingual glossary into it. Wrong - forget the termbase, because the Multiterm Convert does that for you.

So, the steps are:
1. Don't create a termbase. (Should be simple enough.)
2. Run Multiterm Convert on your Excel file. It will look at the column headers and ask you some questions about how you want your termbase organised. Just keep clicking Next; your goal right now is to have an epiphany. You can worry about the niceties of field organisation the next time.
3. When Convert finishes, open Multiterm and create a new termbase, IMPORTING THE DEFINITIONS FILE THAT CONVERT CREATED.
4. Termbase created? Good. It should be empty. Now you just import the XML file that Convert created.
5. Epiphany.
Colm

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
I will try... Sep 9, 2005

A. Set up a simple Excel sheet with headers, e.g.:
English Polish
window okno
door drzwi

and save.

B. Open MultiTerm Convert. The screens go:
1. Welcome.
2. Conversion Session.
Select New Conversion session
3. Conversion Options.
Select Microsoft Excel format
4. Specify files.
Input file: select the xls file. Everything else gets filled out automatically. Note the location of the xml file.
5. Specify Column Header.
For English select Index field: English (e.g. US)
For Polish select Index field: Polish
6. Create Entry Structure
Leave as is. Next.
7. Conversion Summary.
Leave as is. Next.
8. Converting.
Wait.
9. Conversion Complete.
Finish.

C. Open MultiTerm. File/Create termbase:
1. Termbase definition.
Use a predefined termbase template: Bilingual glossary
2. Termbase Name.
Input name.
3. Index fields.
Remove German. Add Polish.
4. Descriptive fields.
Leave as is. Next.
5. Entry structure.
Leave as is. Next.
6. Wizard Complete.
Finish.

D. File/Import entries:
Termbase Catalogue
Select default import definition. Press Process...
1. General settings.
Import file: the xml file you have created.
Select Fast import (skip to screen 7).
7. Import definition summary.
Next.
8. Processing the import.
Next.
Wizard Complete.
Finish
E. Close Termbase Catalogue.
You should see your entries in your glossary. Enjoy!

Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Not looking right... Sep 9, 2005

Although I have used pre tag in the above post, all tabs are still gone. Oh well... If anyone knows how to indent here, let me know

What Colm suggested is indeed faster. Remember, though, that you still need to import the entries, so you only skip stage C.

Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, Elusive epiphany Sep 9, 2005

Many thanks to Colm and Jabberwock: the ABC-type list is just what I was looking for. That said, I am still getting only the source language, so either there's something wrong with my Excel input or I've missed (or screwed up)one of the defaults. Another colleague has generously offered to walk me through the steps and I do anticipate spending time practicing. In any case, I suspect that your step-by-step procedure here will do noble service to the next frustrated Trados/Multiterm user in search of nirvana... I am most grateful for the solidarity!

Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Check the indexes... Sep 9, 2005

Paul Kozelka wrote:

That said, I am still getting only the source language,

At convert, did you assign index fields for BOTH languagues? If not, then you end up with one index field (source) and one descriptive field (that is, MT thinks that the second column describes the first column and not that it is another language). See stage B step 5.

Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've seen the light, and it IS green... Sep 9, 2005

Follow-up much appreciated; indeed, it was the second Index field that was missing. Bardzo dzenkuje!

Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Proszê bardzo! :) Sep 9, 2005

I'm glad I could help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Still waiting for the epiphany on MultiTerm...

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs