AdobeInDesign
Thread poster: Antoní­n Otáhal

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 21:27
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Sep 12, 2005

A client sent me a pdf file for translation; in its Document Properties I can see it was created with AdobeInDesign CS (3.0).

I have no experience with such format, but if I go back to them and tell them that direct translation of InDesign files by Trados TagEdiotr is possible and preferable, (i) what exactly do I have to get from them; and (ii) are there any "traps" I should know about before going into an attempt to persuade them? (I have Trados 7.0.0.615)

Obviously, I cannot rely on their experience in this field too much - if they had a lot of it, they would not be likely to send out a pdf file for translation...

Any advice will be appreciated.

Antonin

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
you need .isc files Sep 12, 2005

Hi! request your outsourcer to export all the text content using a trados plug-in for indesign to an .isc (indesign story collector) you can then process this file and send a bilingual or clean and send the target back Best regards, Brandis

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
File Formats Reference Guide Sep 12, 2005

The whole procedure is described in the Trados File Formats Reference Guide, which is part of the Trados documentation.

Carlotta Minozzi  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Sysfilter for InDesign Sep 13, 2005

I use another CAT tool, but this does not make any difference in this case. There is a software, called Sysfilter for InDesign, which works pretty perfectly. If you have the InDesign file and use Sysfilter software, you export the Indesign file and you get a perfectly tagged file, which you translate with your cat tools (I tried it with wordfast), then you clean it, and use Sysfilter to import it back. Sysfilter overwrite the existing Indesign file (always better to work on copies) and what you get is an translated Indesign file. You check that everything's fine (length of stories, etc..) but basically you don't have to do anything.
Here is the link: http://www.ecm-engineering.de/engl/Prod_S4I.htm.
You can download it and try it out for 15 days for free.
Hope this helps.
Carlotta

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your advice Sep 13, 2005

By the way, Charlotte, your link does not seem to work. I was eager to see what is was about.

Follow-up questions:

- Do I have to buy InDesign to be able to work on such jobs?
- Is there reasonable backward compatibility of InDesign versions?
- If my clients are to export to a "Trados eligible" form from InDesign, do they have to buy antyhing, or is the Trados plug-in for InDesign free?

Antonin

Carlotta Minozzi  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Answers to your questions, plus further explanation Sep 13, 2005

By the way, Charlotte, your link does not seem to work. I was eager to see what is was about.
Try this: http://www.ecm-engineering.de/cm_en/news.php

Follow-up questions:

- Do I have to buy InDesign to be able to work on such jobs?
No, your clients (who supposedly have already InDesign) have to by the Sysfilter software (it's about 180€, I think).
- Is there reasonable backward compatibility of InDesign versions?
InDesign version compatibility is, let me say, a TOTAL MESS! InDesign CS, for example, cannot save a file in InDesign previous version format (isnt that incredible?). Your client should check with the owner of ECM Engineering (his name's Wilhelm, if I remember well, and I have his email if they cannot find it on the website). He's more than willing to help people. What you get from Sysfilter is a doc file, which you can simply translate in word.
- If my clients are to export to a "Trados eligible" form from InDesign, do they have to buy antyhing, or is the Trados plug-in for InDesign free?
As I told you above, Sysfilter is not free. I do not know if there are some Trados plug-ins that work well, but I don't think so. I used Sysfilter and found it very useful.

Tell this info to your client, ask them to download a trial version of Sysfilter and do a test with your file. If your deadline is within 15 days (the trial version time), they will be able to do this procedure:
Download sysfilter for indesign
Install it
Export the Indesign file to be translated, getting a doc file with various tags (automatically recognised by trados, I think, as untranslatable. Wordfast does it for sure)
You translate the doc file with trados.
Once you're finished with the translator, you clean the doc file with trados and it back to your client.
They now have to do the import procedure of your translated doc file with Sysfilter and what they get is the original InDesign file, but translated.
Hope this is clear enough, if not, reply to me in private (carlotta@itservices.it).
Ciao!
Carlotta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AdobeInDesign

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs