Patrick Yancey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:56
Member (2005)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 15, 2005

This is quite amazing and I've never seen anything like it before:

I was cleaning a Word file with trados 6.5 workbench and an OLE/COM interface error occurred during the final conversion. The only file left in my folder was a 1 KB BAK file that cannot be opened, my original 90 page Word file is completely gone. Windows hard drive search turned up nothing. Also not in the recycling bin. Trados appears to have simply eaten my file!

I was looking into system restore/bac
... See more
This is quite amazing and I've never seen anything like it before:

I was cleaning a Word file with trados 6.5 workbench and an OLE/COM interface error occurred during the final conversion. The only file left in my folder was a 1 KB BAK file that cannot be opened, my original 90 page Word file is completely gone. Windows hard drive search turned up nothing. Also not in the recycling bin. Trados appears to have simply eaten my file!

I was looking into system restore/backup for windows XP but restore does not recover data files and backup is not a default installation feature for XP (so I don't have it apparently).
Has anyone ever had this happen to them/know how to recover the file?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

versions: MS Word 2003
Trados 6.5 freelance
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 10:56
English to German
+ ...
you should still be having a backup Sep 15, 2005

in Word 2003, rename it to .doc and that probably wud be your bilingual, save a copy separately to avoid further calamities and try recleaning. I don´t unfortunately know OLE / COMstuff. Load the TM and do fuzzy match to get a bilingual. But this time try cleaning in Fusion (there is a free download facility on this site, an evaluation version with full functionality)to clean the file. If trados fails Fusion is still there, functionality being very much same. Best regards, Brandis

[Edite
... See more
in Word 2003, rename it to .doc and that probably wud be your bilingual, save a copy separately to avoid further calamities and try recleaning. I don´t unfortunately know OLE / COMstuff. Load the TM and do fuzzy match to get a bilingual. But this time try cleaning in Fusion (there is a free download facility on this site, an evaluation version with full functionality)to clean the file. If trados fails Fusion is still there, functionality being very much same. Best regards, Brandis

[Edited at 2005-09-15 17:26]
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Two levels of solution Sep 15, 2005

1) Emeregency - if you are 100% sure you cannot find the file anywhere in your system, you will have to reconstruct it from the translation memory - this should be now filled with the relevant segments, so the fuzzy translation should (with some additional effort) enable you to get the translated file "back."

2) Regular - since I neither like nor trust the "proper" Trados cleaning, I always clean with the "tw4winClean.Main" macro - you have to be careful about re-running edited tra
... See more
1) Emeregency - if you are 100% sure you cannot find the file anywhere in your system, you will have to reconstruct it from the translation memory - this should be now filled with the relevant segments, so the fuzzy translation should (with some additional effort) enable you to get the translated file "back."

2) Regular - since I neither like nor trust the "proper" Trados cleaning, I always clean with the "tw4winClean.Main" macro - you have to be careful about re-running edited translations to get them into the translation memory, which the reguar celaning should take care of, but I am willing to pay that price.

Antonin
Collapse

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
And if the BAK file is no good... Sep 15, 2005

Hopefully you can do this:
Make a fresh copy of the original (untranslated) file.
Autotranslate the file using the autotranslate function in Trados WB (since the segments are (hopefully) still in the TM).
Cross your fingers and clean again.

Jørgen

Patrick Yancey
Patrick Yancey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:56
Member (2005)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Sep 15, 2005

thanks for the advice guys. I can get a lot back with autotranslate. Unfortunately there were a lot of figures that I suppose I just have to redo.

Many thanks again!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Save an extra copy of the uncleaned text Sep 15, 2005

This is closing the stable door after the horse has gone...

But an instructor on a Trados course (who is not employed by Trados BTW) advised students always to make an extra copy of the completed translation before cleaning it up, saved under a different name (trans2, Translation uncleaned, whatever.)

I dutifully do so, and I've used them for other purposes, like making a quick TM for a colleague without having to give her all the other things for other clients.
<
... See more
This is closing the stable door after the horse has gone...

But an instructor on a Trados course (who is not employed by Trados BTW) advised students always to make an extra copy of the completed translation before cleaning it up, saved under a different name (trans2, Translation uncleaned, whatever.)

I dutifully do so, and I've used them for other purposes, like making a quick TM for a colleague without having to give her all the other things for other clients.

(I know there are 'official' ways, but I've never cracked those attributes and filters - why make it difficult when there's an easy way ?)

I'm afraid I don't trust Trados - I use it, but I treat it like pure black magic and check everything manually afterwards.

Hope you can get your text back!
Best of luck!
Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:56
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It happens to me often Sep 16, 2005

I do not know why, but it happens.

It might not help you this time, but I usually save one single material three times:

1. Name of file_Source language_Original
2. Name of file_Uncleaned
3. Name of file_Target language

This has prevented me from going insane with Trados cleaning

I hope somehow you will be able to get the file back.

Monika

... See more
I do not know why, but it happens.

It might not help you this time, but I usually save one single material three times:

1. Name of file_Source language_Original
2. Name of file_Uncleaned
3. Name of file_Target language

This has prevented me from going insane with Trados cleaning

I hope somehow you will be able to get the file back.

Monika

[Edited at 2005-09-16 12:37]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados actually ate file during clean up

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »