Mobile menu

Trados: question for worse than beginners (really embarrassing!)
Thread poster: buceo
Sep 17, 2005

Please forgive me, here I go. Trados 6.5 freelance.

1. I open the original English text (word file) to be translated and then I open the Workbench. No MultiTerm this time.

2. I start translating. Let's imagine the first sentence says "My father was at work while my sister remained at home". Great. Translation of the 1st sentence done.

3. Let's imagine now the second sentence goes: "He didn't like work while my sister loved staying home". As you can see, there're several "known" words from the first sentence: "work"; "while"; "my"; "sister"; "home"

And here is my question: am I misunderstanding the whole CAT tool system or trados is suppossed to recognize those "old" words previously translated in the first sentence??

Unfortunately trados leaves the sentence open for me to translate it from scratch and doesn't highlight those words in any form. Is this normal?? If not, what am I doing wrong??

Hopefully everything's clear!!

Thanks in advance, of course

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:27
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Translation Memory tools operate on segments, not words Sep 17, 2005

Dear buceo,

Trados doesn't operate at word level (and you may not want it!!) but at segment level. Only whole segments are stored in the TM, and only identical or similar (fuzzy matches) segments are proposed when they are met in the document.

On the other hand, if you store terminology (single words or groups of words) in MultiTerm, these are suggested when they appear in the segment open at the moment.

[Modificato alle 2005-09-17 14:34]

Timothy Barton
Local time: 03:27
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
CAT is not automated translation Sep 17, 2005

It's based on translation segments (usually sentences), not on words.

Thank you Sep 17, 2005

Thanks a lot for your replies!!

I thought that Trados could indeed recognize single words too or at least give you the option to reject or to allow the translation for that specific word.

Often one has the same word repeated throughout the text (like names) or in this fictional case for instance "father" and "sister"...

Anyway, thanks again!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Lower the match quality threshold in Options - Translation Memory Options Sep 17, 2005

It is usually (by default?) set to something about 60%.
However, you can get usefull matches even at 35%. My setting is 30%. You should experiment a bit with this setting to find your optimum. But do not wonder if you get matches with 70%, which are garbage. Even this is normal...

Dr. Janos Annus  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Multiterm Sep 18, 2005

I think for frequently repeated words the Multiterm is the best solution. For me at least, lowering the level of recognition gives a lot of garbage and makes it longer than to write the word from scratch.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados: question for worse than beginners (really embarrassing!)

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs