unable to import a TM in txt. format
Thread poster: Sonia Alonso
Sonia Alonso
English to Spanish
Sep 18, 2005

hi! I am trying to learn how to use Trados. I've been sent an existing Translation memory. It is a txt. file that I've tried to import using the import option in translation workbench, but it keeps saying:

Import finished sucessfully. 134 TUs read in 1 second. 0 updated, 0 added, 134 invalid.

What is the problem? the software version, perhaps?
I use Tranalator's Workbench, Version 7.0 freelance

Thanks!!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:11
English to German
+ ...
Check the languages Sep 18, 2005

Hi Sonia,
Looks like the languages in the TM export file (a .txt file is an export, not a TM itself) do not match the settings in your TM. Given your language pair, this could either be US vs. UK English (EN-US / EN-GB in the export), or a non-matching Spanish locale.

Best regards,
Ralf

Sonia Alonso
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Change setiings? Sep 18, 2005

Thank you for the answer!
I'm a total beginner and I am completely lost.I guess I have to change language settings somewhere. the text was written in American English, so it is possible that my settings are for British English, but I don't know how to change that.
Thanks!!!!!

Sonia Alonso
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Change settings? Sep 18, 2005

thanks a lot! I am a beginner, so I don't know even how to change the language settings. Where can I find that option? I guess my settings are for British English, because the text I'm going to translate was written in American English, so the TM setiings are problabably for Am Eng as well.
THank you in advance!

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:11
English to German
+ ...
Tutorials / File Formats Reference Guide Sep 18, 2005

Hi again,
Unfortunately you didn't indicate which version of Trados you're using; I'm assuming you have T6.5 or higher.

I'm a total beginner and I am completely lost.

Have you gone through the interactive tutorials? These contain an introduction to Trados, while the File Formats Reference Guide describes the workflow for different file formats. You will find all these in the Programs menu structure for Trados.

In my view, it's not a good idea to start working with any complex software for a 'real' job without proper preparation. Did you tell you customer that you're unfamiliar with Trados?

I guess I have to change language settings somewhere.

Nope; you will need to define the matching TM languages when creating the TM you're importing to.

the text was written in American English, so it is possible that my settings are for British English, but I don't know how to change that.

Which language did you choose when setting up your TM?

First of all, there is no direct connection between a text file you have received and a TM export (although it's a fair guess that the accompanying TM would probably be from US English). Open the .txt file with a text editor and search for "TrU". In the structure for each Translation Unit, you will see the language codes: if you see "EN-US", this means that the language was set to US English. What's the Spanish code you see?

Best regards,
Ralf

Sonia Alonso
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Sep 18, 2005

Thanks again. It is not a real job, I'm just trying to know if trados can really help me to do it faster. I will not accept a job with trados until I know if I can do it. I'm reading the tutorials, but having experts like you in this forum makes things much easier.
Best regards

Sonia

Sonia Alonso
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 18, 2005

It is not a real job, I'm only using the TM to lear. You' re right, I have to read the tutorials. I was wrong about the language settings, now it works, but it was not the English setting, it was the spanish one.

best regards
Sonia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

unable to import a TM in txt. format

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums