Thread poster: Constance Mannshardt

Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:21
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 19, 2005

or working with it...I don't know what to do!

It's the first time in years of working with Trados that a client sends me his TM (5 files). I tried to find out in translation.zone how to work with them properly in order to send the updated TM back to the client at the end, but I couldn't find it.

I will have to open a new TM in workbench, but and then? How do I get his tm into this new one? I tried doing it with the .txt file he sent me, but it didn't work. And why do I need all those 5 other files?

Can somebody help me?

Direct link Reply with quote

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:21
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
just open it ;-) Sep 19, 2005

Since you received 5 files, I assume they have the following extensions:
iix, mdf, mtf, mwf, tmw
These files make up the tm in Trados' own format. All you have to do is open the .tmw file from your Workbench. You don't have to create a new tm. All new translations will be added to the tm, and you can return the same five files to the client.

You only need to create a new tm, if the client sends you the tm in exported form, ie. as a txt. file. In this case, you create your new tm, name it whatever you like, and use the option "Import" from the WB file menu.

HTH!

Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 19, 2005

That was very helpful, thank you a lot!
Is there a way of working with my own complete and big TM (which would help me a lot) instead of the little one from the client and just send the client the TM that "belongs" to him?
That would be great!

Heike Behl, Ph.D. wrote:

Since you received 5 files, I assume they have the following extensions:
iix, mdf, mtf, mwf, tmw
These files make up the tm in Trados' own format. All you have to do is open the .tmw file from your Workbench. You don't have to create a new tm. All new translations will be added to the tm, and you can return the same five files to the client.

You only need to create a new tm, if the client sends you the tm in exported form, ie. as a txt. file. In this case, you create your new tm, name it whatever you like, and use the option "Import" from the WB file menu.

HTH!

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Work with your own TM Sep 19, 2005

and before cleaning, make an extra copy of the unclean file, and clean that extra copy to the client's TM.

Antonin

Ahmad Hassaballa  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2005)
German to Arabic
+ ...
Export / Import the TM Sep 19, 2005

Hello Constance,

In order to use a big universal TM made from several different TMs you need to:

1. Opern the client's/small TM, choose File > Export. You'll the create a txt file of the entire TM.
2. Open your universal/big TM, choose File > Import and select the txt file you've just created.

Kind regards,

Ahmad Hassaballa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

using / importing clients tm

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs