Mobile menu

TagEditor (6.5.5.439) -> editing source inline and untranslatable characters...
Thread poster: CELC Inc

CELC Inc
Local time: 15:25
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2005

Several questions, actually.

1) I take it it's not possible to edit TagEditor source files in TagEditor?
(If so, this strikes me as rather inconvenient, as some of my clients are notorious for poorly prepared sources.)

2) I'm translating HTML Help (to be compiled into CHM) from Japanese to English, and I cannot get TagEditor to allow me to translate some two-byte numerals.
Example (you'll need Shift-JIS encoding to see the Japanese):
In the segment "‡@ ‚ðƒNƒŠƒbƒN‚µ‚Ü‚·," TagEditor only opens "‚ðƒNƒŠƒbƒN‚µ‚Ü‚·," thus ensuring that I will have a two-byte "‡@" (the numeral one enclosed in a circle) that garbles when I change the encoding to ISO for single-byte characters.
Any idea how to avoid this problem?

Also, just as a side question, is there a MultiTerm interface (toolbar) in TagEditor 7 for registering new terms, as there is in the Microsoft Word interface for earlier versions? If so, I'd be willing to upgrade tomorrow just to avoid the inconvenience of having to toggle back and forth several hundred times a day...

Thanks in advance,
Nathan

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:25
English to German
+ ...
Deactivate document protection Sep 30, 2005

Hi Nathan,
1) I take it it's not possible to edit TagEditor source files in TagEditor?

You can, but you need to deactivate document protection (which is active as a default): Tools - Options - Protection - Document protection.

HTH, Ralf

CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed that does help. Sep 30, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

...You can, but you need to deactivate document protection (which is active as a default): Tools - Options - Protection - Document protection.

HTH, Ralf

Well, that certainly does help. Not to mention make me feel a little stupid. Thanks as always, Ralf.

BTW, I've found that my untranslatable "1" is only a problem when placed before a tag (in this case an image tag). I don't know whether that's meant to be a clue or something...

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
MultiTerm toolbar Sep 30, 2005

Also, just as a side question, is there a MultiTerm interface (toolbar) in TagEditor 7 for registering new terms, as there is in the Microsoft Word interface for earlier versions?

Yes, there is. As well as some new bugs.

CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New bugs? Sep 30, 2005

Anything I should know about before upgrading?

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
New bugs Sep 30, 2005

What I have encountered so far:

Shift-F3 (the new "Change case" function) inserts invisible characters into the translation and these characters will be present in the cleaned document as well. In HTML they become visible as squares, I think.

Using round quotes (single or double), n-dash, m-dash and maybe some other characters changes the font in the translation window and the font change will be carried over to TM.

The Tags toolbar button and keyboard shortcut for inserting the BR tag don't work.

CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the info, Henry Oct 3, 2005

Good to know.

I'm particularly put off by:

Using round quotes (single or double), n-dash, m-dash and maybe some other characters changes the font in the translation window and the font change will be carried over to TM.

CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workaround Oct 7, 2005

Well, I've found a workaround for my untranslatable characters (two-byte enclosed alphanumerics immediately before "img" tags).

• Translate
  • Set/Close
  • Document protection -> OFF
  • Move character into segment
  • Reopen segment
  • Set/Close

Hope this helps for others with the same trouble.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor (6.5.5.439) -> editing source inline and untranslatable characters...

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs