Thread poster: Constance Mannshardt

Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:05
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 30, 2005

I'm stuck! I'm trying to upgrade from 5.5 to 7 and should save my termbases using the command above. My pc's language is german and I just can't find this command - where is it? Detach and load is not the same as export and import and I just can't find nothing that seems to mean "detach" in german.
After I do that, they tell me to uninstall trados multiterm IX workstation (and multiterm extract - I don't know who this one is) - but I would like to continue using it (or would my termbase be available to 5.5 from 7?)
Who could help me?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Termbank - Lokale Termbank ausgliedern Sep 30, 2005

Hi Constance,
The language of the MTiX user interface is independent from your computer's operating system (Ansicht - Dialogsprache).

Termbase > Detach in the German interface is Termbank - Lokale Termbank ausgliedern.

After I do that, they tell me to uninstall trados multiterm IX workstation (and multiterm extract - I don't know who this one is) - but I would like to continue using it (or would my termbase be available to 5.5 from 7?)

MultiTerm 7 is fundamentally different from MTiX 6.2.x; that's why you need to deinstall. To be on the safe side, you should store your termbase definition (.xdt), and export your entries, both to a path outside the installation directory.

Haven't upgraded to T7 yet (had to wait for our new server being installed, which happened last week), so I cannot give you first-hand experience. However, I'm looking to re-create (rather than re-attach) my termbases in MT 7.

Best regards,
Ralf

Germany
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe I am on the wrong "place"? Sep 30, 2005

Hi Ralf,

I think that the point may be that I am searching for this command in Multiterm and not in the termbase. But when I click on my termbase(s) I get into Multiterm, and this command is not there!

I don't know if I will bring up the courage to delete my termbase from 5.5, until I am not certain T7 will work without problems. I am still working on 3 projects to be finished the next days, which I started on T5.5, and I think it may not be very healthy (for the projects and me) to finish them on T7 - or am I mistaken?

Thank you so much for your support!

Germany
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 5.5 not working!!!! ... and T7, too is not working! Sep 30, 2005

I decided to just wait with the upgrade and continue working, but now, although I opened teh multiterm and workbench 5.5, in word I have the new T7!! And translation is not working! I NEED TO CONTINUE WORKING!!! Should I uninstall T7 until I finished the ongoing projects and have more time to try to install T7? What shall I do now?

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which MultiTerm version are you using? Sep 30, 2005

Hi again,
I think that the point may be that I am searching for this command in Multiterm and not in the termbase.

A termbase is a database that doesn't have a user interface.

Which version of MultiTerm are you using?

I don't know if I will bring up the courage to delete my termbase from 5.5, until I am not certain T7 will work without problems. I am still working on 3 projects to be finished the next days, which I started on T5.5, and I think it may not be very healthy (for the projects and me) to finish them on T7 - or am I mistaken?

It's good practice not to make any major changes to your system in the middle of key projects.

Best regards,
Ralf

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Did you install T7 - or didn't you?? Sep 30, 2005

Hi,
I decided to just wait with the upgrade and continue working, but now, although I opened teh multiterm and workbench 5.5, in word I have the new T7!!

Hang on a second - did you wait, or did you install T7?

What shall I do now?

Tell us exactly which versions of the software you are using... (Full version number including the 'build number', please - go to Help - About... to find out.)

Best regards,
Ralf

Germany
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Ralf Sep 30, 2005

I was trying to work on T5.5 but had already installed T7. On the other hand, I hadn't installed Multiterm 7!
As soon as I did, I could finally see Multiterm convert, so I decided to finalize the Trados 7 installation and the convertion of my T5.5 termbases, so I could try continue working - there is so much to do!
It worked. A lot of things I did without understanding what exactly they meant, and I am translating now with T7 without seeing my Multiterm on my screen (as I did on T5.5), but I am working.
I still don't know why I am not seeing my multiterm entries on screen and I would like to know how to work with Trados 5.5 if I wanted...but I am working.
Do you know some answers?
Thank you for your help, always!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Termbase > Detach command?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs