Thread poster: Laerte da Silva
Laerte da Silva
Laerte da Silva  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 5, 2005

How can I use trados analysis in pricing? does anyone have an Excel spreadsheet for that. What are your criteria? Can you give me an example?

Many thanks.

Laerte J Silva

Christian Schoenberg
Christian Schoenberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:25
Danish to English
+ ...
Stopped giving special pricing... Oct 5, 2005

Hi,

I actually stopped giving special pricing on Trados after doing so for a couple of years (except, perhaps, for 100% matches). The problem is that you just never know what you are getting from the agency, so you can really burn yourself pricewise.

Best,
Christian

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:25
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You can import the Trados log-file into Excel Oct 5, 2005

Just load the log-file into Excel and use the default settings for importing (click Next).
Regards
Heinrich

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:25
German to Spanish
Or easier Oct 6, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Just load the log-file into Excel and use the default settings for importing (click Next).
Regards
Heinrich

Just try with a count program like:
http://www.catcount.com/ (free)

Bom dia comunidade!

Regards

Toledo

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
What a beautifull dream Oct 6, 2005

Christian Schoenberg wrote:

Hi,

I actually stopped giving special pricing on Trados after doing so for a couple of years (except, perhaps, for 100% matches). The problem is that you just never know what you are getting from the agency, so you can really burn yourself pricewise.

Best,
Christian

After some hard jobs based in big TMs full of mistakes, I'd like to do like you. But that is impossible, some agencies works WITH Analysis for some special clients. I am speaking about big projects over years, so you can only take it or not...

Rgds

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
You can differentiate Oct 6, 2005

I have a few stable clients of a special kind: they send similar texts, I analyse them myself against my own special TMs I have established for them, and I charge these jobs with the rate calculated as "exact weighted average" (the formula isbe a bit complicated for explnation in words) - I just export the .csv log (via Excel) to MS Access and a report which calculates my special rate per job is generated automatically.

For others (such as agencies that provide "their" TMs), I just
... See more
I have a few stable clients of a special kind: they send similar texts, I analyse them myself against my own special TMs I have established for them, and I charge these jobs with the rate calculated as "exact weighted average" (the formula isbe a bit complicated for explnation in words) - I just export the .csv log (via Excel) to MS Access and a report which calculates my special rate per job is generated automatically.

For others (such as agencies that provide "their" TMs), I just consider repetitions as a rule; I may accept 100% matches - it depends on how good their TMs are (their quality is VERY changeable) or what kind of agreement I make with them. For example, no money for 100% match means I should not have a look at that text, and therefore cannot guarantee consistency of terminology with that text; "they want me to be consistent, they have to pay for my reading it" - but generally I am rather reluctant to accept jobs with no money for 100 matches since it is difficult to provide professional output under such conditions.

Most agencies try to impose on you full rate for no match and the lowest nonzero rate ; half rate for fuzzy ; and zero for 100% macth and repetitions.

I refuse to agree on any rates before actually seeing the job. If they insist I have to accept their pricing terms, I may have a look at their texts and accept or refuse depending on how adaquate their requirements are.

Agencies have a tendecy to push you to lower prices on larger jobs; on the one hand it makes a business sense, but on the other hand there is isusally extra work of different kind (which may be negligible on small-scale jobs but nightmarish on big ones) and one has to be very careful to clarify all conditions in advance (any special requirements they may have on the format; DTP issues; if they send you proofread jobs, is your second run included in the orginal price?; do you have to convert, clean up, or otherwise pre-process their input - if yes, how much are they going to pay you for such pre-processing, etc.).

Actually, I was considering to set up and publish on my website a "book of my rules" for CAT jobs, but I have not been able to find time and energy for doing that. Perhaps a few people on this forum might be able and willing to join forces and we could put together and agree on a "chart of CAT translators" which would set out some general guidelines and rules for CAT pricing, so that you can simply tell an agency - "I follow the ProZ Chart, take it or leave it" (or soemthing like that). This may or may not be a good idea, I am not sure...

Regards,

Antonin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados analysis in Pricing

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »