Mobile menu

Script error when trying to preview htm-file in Tag Editor
Thread poster: Anette Herbert

Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:17
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 6, 2005

I see you have discussed this problem a few times already, but I did not understand how to solve it from the previous postings, so I will have to post a query myself.

I have TagEditor 6.5.5.441 - (Build 441) and Office 2000, with Win XP.

When I try to preview I get the script error message for line 20 and the error is that an object is expected. Other translators are working on the same project and have not complained, so it may be my settings.
The preview used Internet Explorer, but my system uses Mozilla Firefox, could that be the problem?

On what I judge is line 20 these characters appear, are they normal or could I edit them somehow to solve the problem. It is a big project I am working on and I need to preview to be able to make sure everything looks right.

Hopefully yours
Anette

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 05:17
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
IE issue Oct 6, 2005

The problem is in Internet Explorer. You can try to disable the error messages in Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Browsing - Display a notification about every script error (I hope the strings are correct, I use a Czech version of MSIE). You can also "Save Target as..." from TagEditor and preview the file in Firefox.

Line 20 refers to the source HTML code, not to line 20 in TagEditor.

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working Oct 6, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

The problem is in Internet Explorer. You can try to disable the error messages in Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Browsing - Display a notification about every script error (I hope the strings are correct, I use a Czech version of MSIE). You can also "Save Target as..." from TagEditor and preview the file in Firefox.

Line 20 refers to the source HTML code, not to line 20 in TagEditor.

Thank you for your reply Hynek, and for the tip about viewing in Firefox,which I had not thought about. A good workaround!
The box for displaying notifications was already disabled, and I have now set IE as the standard web browser and restarted the computer but the problem remains. I still cannot preview, as it is a large project with many small files, this would be the best option obviously. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

Thanks again

Anette

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 05:17
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Workaround Oct 6, 2005

I don't know... There is a chance that you are translating parts of code that are not previewable at all. But if it's possible to open the cleaned file in Firefox, you could make a final check after translating and cleaning all the files. To make it easier, you could create a simple HTML page to open the source and target files in one frameset side by side. Something like this:

Left column:
link to file 1
link to file 2
link to file 3
etc.

Middle and right column:
source file and target file

The file list can be created from a simple directory listing. But it's a bit technical.

[Edited at 2005-10-06 12:27]

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Technical Oct 6, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

But it's a bit technical.

[Edited at 2005-10-06 12:27]

That is what I was afraid of!
Thank you for your help anyway Hynek, have a good day.

Best regards
Anette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Script error when trying to preview htm-file in Tag Editor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs