Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 09:08
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 9, 2005

Probably a very blue-eyed question, but has anybody tried to answer it?

Also any other N/C term bases , that could be plugged into MultiTerm? Where's the best corner on ProZ to look for this information?

TiA

smo

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:08
English to German
+ ...
Hardly feasable Oct 9, 2005

Probably a very blue-eyed question...
Indeed.

a) You can not download it as a text file,

b) so you would have to use a source list of your own, insert word after word and save the results. You could fully automate this, but even if you start these queries from a web server, it could take some weeks to get at least half of the EuroDicAutom contents.

c) Doing so, you would probably infringe their copy right.

d) Even if you succeeded downloading and transforming the contents into a MultiTerm base, this termbase would be so huge that you could hardly use it, because MultTerm would take to much time to look up all of the words of your current segment (in spite of MultiTerm being very fast compared to other terminology tools).

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
correction: it was a whiter shade of pale-eyed question, because... Oct 9, 2005

Harry_B wrote:
a) You can not download it as a text file,

who was talking about downloading it?!

b) so you would have to use a source list of your own, insert word after word and save the results.

Oh, yes, if I indeed wanted to download etc. I was talking about on-line access though. See for instance MultiTerm home page ;P

http://www.multiterm.com/index.mto;jsessionid=BBC307E44CCD9E14D5719BEA8466C0A6
and/or this example of MultiTerm-driven dictionaries:
http://www.gov.si/evroterm/index.php?jezik=angl

My point:
a) there's MultiTerm based sites, accesible via net (like Volkswagen) for which I have no use
b) there's MultiTerm based sites, which I am using, but not via MultiTerm, and
c) there MUST be URLs where a+b are both possible

regards

smo

[Edited at 2005-10-09 11:01]

Harry Bornemann
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
I see.. Oct 9, 2005

..that could be plugged into MultiTerm?

Interesting sites, but concerning MultiTerm, they rather look like vaporware to me..

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
2nd benefit of doubt used up... Oct 9, 2005

Harry_B wrote: Interesting sites, but concerning MultiTerm, they rather look like vaporware to me..

B*ll.

Can you offer us some kind of experience with online Term Bases other than visiting MultiTerm online (but not EvroTerm) on my suggestion? In other words, any "non-vaporware" suggestions from you?

See, I'm 100% positive;P - Neugier is my middle name.

Regards

Harry Bornemann
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Not really.. Oct 9, 2005

In other words, any "non-vaporware" suggestions from you?

If I got you right, you are looking for an online terminology database which cooperates with a CAT tool.

My best guess would be Fusion, but I did not try this functionality yet.

Maybe someone can tell us, whether Fusion can present the results from the KOG as automatically and quickly as Trados, DejaVu, and other CAT tools are showing the results from their terminology databases?

When I needed the information from any online or offline termbase in my MultiTerm or DéjàVu, I used to download it manually or automatically (online) or extracted it using a macro (offline) and converted it in the good old way..

But the problem is, that it is either so comprising that it slows down the computer too much - or it is not comprising enough..

[Edited at 2005-10-09 17:19]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Yeah, I know the old ways Oct 9, 2005

...like getting myself a copy of X and Y and "every man is an island".

And everybody got a clock on their PC, and everybody got his own copy of Elton John love songs, his/her own flight/train schedules and the latest telephone rates downloaded etc etc... we're just a bunch of Robinson Crusoes on our lonely PC islands, making marks on our diaries with our knives, when we download the latest X and Y. It's like in the old times (19 century), when you have processions of wives or kid
... See more
...like getting myself a copy of X and Y and "every man is an island".

And everybody got a clock on their PC, and everybody got his own copy of Elton John love songs, his/her own flight/train schedules and the latest telephone rates downloaded etc etc... we're just a bunch of Robinson Crusoes on our lonely PC islands, making marks on our diaries with our knives, when we download the latest X and Y. It's like in the old times (19 century), when you have processions of wives or kids converging on the water hole in the village to get their daily ration of water. Same thing with electricity and accumulators ...

Here we talk information (2nd, not the 1st law of thermodynamics). Still, it is still the same thing and it simply SUX mega

My "condition humaine" right now:

I have all the time at least three processes going on:

i) Trados with all the paraphernalia
ii) a CDROM based dictionary or two (sitting on HD but its still the same thing)
iii) internet - to go to LEO, evroterm, ProZ

This is simply ... obscene;)

Regards

smo

[Edited at 2005-10-09 14:39]
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
"condition humaine" Oct 9, 2005

Here we talk information (2nd, not the 1st law of thermodynamics).

I dare to doubt that information can be converted into energy (how much Joule makes 1 Bit?), but that's another discussion..
i) Trados with all the paraphernalia
ii) a CDROM based dictionary or two (sitting on HD but its still the same thing)
iii) internet - to go to LEO, evroterm, ProZ

I have i) to iii) plus
iv) a macro recorder for shortcuts, keystrokes, and mouseclicks in any direction
v) a Perl-TK script which gives me an overview how late and how slow I am in regard to the deadline of my current project, after which I will try to turn that script into an executable (vaporware everywere)..
vi) a machine translation program which is as helpful as a very poor pretranslation, i.e. it is not totally useless, it can still increase my speed by 50%..
This is simply ... obscene

Agree

[Edited at 2005-10-09 16:31]

Ronnie Halpern
Ronnie Halpern  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:08
French to English
+ ...
Euterpe database on CD Oct 10, 2005

I don't know if this information will help, but for several years Trados made the Euterpe database available on their demo CDs. This is a self contained Trados application which does not require Trados to run it.
The application is about 28MB, but I haven't found anywhere it could be downloaded from.
If anyone still has a Trados demo CD it would be worthwhile checking it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EuroDicAutom as a TermBase in MultiTerm

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »