Thread poster: xxxBoschi
xxxBoschi  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:49
German to Italian
+ ...
Oct 9, 2005

Hello,
I need your help. I've just made a translation with Trados (Trados 5 freelance, I work with Windows 2000) and I must clean up the files. However, this seems impossible since I always get the message "Word could not convert the document due to an OLE/COM or file name error. (error 50202)". What can I do to solve the problem?
Many thanks in advance
Sonia

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-10-09 07:39]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
KB Article 1377 Oct 9, 2005

Hi Sonia,
Have you tried searching the Trados Knowledge Base? Entering the error number gets you straight to article 1377, which explains how to get around this problem. (Actually, this was discussed in a previous thread a month ago...)

As a workaround, you can clean up by executing the tw4winClean.Main macro - just bear in mind that any changes you made after translation (spell checking, etc.) will not be updated in your TM.

Best regards,
Ralf

xxxBoschi  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 9, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Sonia,
Have you tried searching the Trados Knowledge Base? Entering the error number gets you straight to article 1377, which explains how to get around this problem. (Actually, this was discussed in a previous thread a month ago...)

As a workaround, you can clean up by executing the tw4winClean.Main macro - just bear in mind that any changes you made after translation (spell checking, etc.) will not be updated in your TM.

Best regards,
Ralf

Hi Ralf,
Many thanks. It seems to work now...
Have a nice day
Sonia

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Environment variables? Aug 21, 2006

Hi all,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.

We just ran into the same error.

Since our environment is very special, let me first list the factors:
- several project managers running Trados 7.5 via Windows terminal server
- all user profiles have Office 2003 installed

One user tries to analyse a simple Word file (500 kb), and gets error 50202. Even when manually converted to RTF, it still fails.

But: Logged in on the terminal server window as another user, the analysis runs successfully on the same file!

So, to eliminate the factors that provoked this error:
- It's not due to an old version of Word
- It's not due to a large Word DOC
- It's not due to failing to convert from DOC to RTF

My only guess is that some environment variable in the Windows Server user profile is behind this, although it's not documented at all by Trados.

And since we managed to run the analysis under another user, Trados won't support this issue, since it's "not their problem".

(Actually, they tried to support it, but just by giving dummy answers like "uninstall the whole suite, reinstall and register again").

Any ideas, or are we "on our own"?

/Jan

Céline Débiton  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Found a solution Oct 20, 2012

I know this topic is very old but in case it could help somebody, I've actually found a solution and I guess this is where the problem comes from: before doing your clean up, close your Word file. THEN, go to Windows Task Manager > Processes and search and stop Microsoft Word. You can now clean your file without error. Let me know if it works for you too

Céline

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot clean up - OLE/COM error

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs