Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:38
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 10, 2005

I had the following problem at the end of last week actually, and solved it, but not with Trados. I would therefore still like to know the answer to it.

I bought Trados in the TGB group buy in July, and last week was the first time that I translated such a long document with it: about 12,000 words on a very urgent basis. At last I had translated the final word, and I clicked "Clean up". Some process occurred, and then the report box said that no units had been cleaned, so I opene
... See more
I had the following problem at the end of last week actually, and solved it, but not with Trados. I would therefore still like to know the answer to it.

I bought Trados in the TGB group buy in July, and last week was the first time that I translated such a long document with it: about 12,000 words on a very urgent basis. At last I had translated the final word, and I clicked "Clean up". Some process occurred, and then the report box said that no units had been cleaned, so I opened up the document and expected to find both languages still there, i.e. the uncleaned document. Instead, the document appeared blank. I scrolled up and down and eventually clicked on "word count". The result was 0 characters, 0 words, 0 lines, i.e. everything had been deleted.

After a moment of horror, I discovered that there was a back-up of my uncleaned document there. Relief! I had not lost it all! I took 10 copies of the back-up, and then tried a few more times, using different document names and extensions. Each time the same thing happened: document gone.

Before I ran out of back-ups, I closed down Trados and opened up Fusion. I tried cleaning one of the back-ups with Fusion. It worked perfectly! Fusion really saved my skin that day.

However, I would like to know why this problem occurred, or whether, indeed, anyone has ever experienced it before. I would also like to know if there is a solution, using Trados.

Many thanks.

Astrid
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Workaround Oct 10, 2005

Hi Astrid,
To really analyse the cause of the problem, one would need to check the document. (If that's feasible - given confidentiality, for example - contact me through my profile.)

The workaround for cleanup problems is using the tw4winClean.Main macro. This will forcibly clean the document, however, you should bear in mind that your TM will not be updated with any subsequent changes you made after interactive translation.

Best regards, Ralf

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:38
French to English
Setting for cleanup Oct 10, 2005

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

However, I would like to know why this problem occurred, or whether, indeed, anyone has ever experienced it before. I would also like to know if there is a solution, using Trados.

Astrid

Although it is impossible to say without seeing your situation, I have a funny feeling the problem might be with the settings for cleanup.

I would refer to the documentation for the correct settings.

HTH,
Karin Adamczyk

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Macro Oct 11, 2005

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for the tip about the macro. The document is extremely highly confidential, so I would prefer not to send it to anyone for analysis. I will read up about this macro, and then I will know something else new about Trados.

Karin, thanks for your suggestion, but I really would not be very impressed with any software that deleted a newly translated document of 12000 words just because I did not choose the right setting for clean up. There are only 4 settin
... See more
Hi Ralf,

Thanks for the tip about the macro. The document is extremely highly confidential, so I would prefer not to send it to anyone for analysis. I will read up about this macro, and then I will know something else new about Trados.

Karin, thanks for your suggestion, but I really would not be very impressed with any software that deleted a newly translated document of 12000 words just because I did not choose the right setting for clean up. There are only 4 settings anyway, they were explained at a recent Trados one-day seminar that I attended, and none of them are intended for deleting the entire document!

Astrid
Collapse

Valery Legotin
Valery Legotin  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
'Manual' cleaning option Oct 11, 2005

Hi Astrid

Actually, cleaning up the document means Word search certain text attributes and replace this text by 'nothing'. Unless you need to update your TM by cleaning, you can just open the document, without Workbench running, make hidded text (this one will be 'cleaned') visible, press CTRL+F, press 'Options', 'Format', 'Font'. You will see a lot of attribute checkboxes. Make 'Hidden' box clearly selected (the checkmark should become black, not gray). Then switch to the 'Replac'
... See more
Hi Astrid

Actually, cleaning up the document means Word search certain text attributes and replace this text by 'nothing'. Unless you need to update your TM by cleaning, you can just open the document, without Workbench running, make hidded text (this one will be 'cleaned') visible, press CTRL+F, press 'Options', 'Format', 'Font'. You will see a lot of attribute checkboxes. Make 'Hidden' box clearly selected (the checkmark should become black, not gray). Then switch to the 'Replac' tab, put the cursor into 'Replace by' and press 'Replace all'. Done.

Have a nice day,-
Valery
*The names of buttons and tabs may differ in English Windows version
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
= macro Oct 11, 2005

Actually, cleaning up the document means Word search certain text attributes and replace this text by 'nothing'. Unless you need to update your TM by cleaning, you can just open the document, without Workbench running, make hidded text (this one will be 'cleaned') visible, press CTRL+F, press 'Options', 'Format', 'Font'. You will see a lot of attribute checkboxes. Make 'Hidden' box clearly selected (the checkmark should become black, not gray). Then switch to the 'Replac' tab, put the cursor into 'Replace by' and press 'Replace all'. Done.

Basically, that's what tw4winClean.Main does.

Best, Ralf

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Corrupt document? Oct 11, 2005

I took 10 copies of the back-up, and then tried a few more times, using different document names and extensions.

This definitely won't help.

There are only 4 settings anyway, they were explained at a recent Trados one-day seminar that I attended, and none of them are intended for deleting the entire document!

You are right about that.

My guess is that you were either extremly unlucky with your first Trados document, or something went wrong during translation - maybe you deleted some of the Trados tags (could be visible or invisible depending on your Word settings for hidden text). You can try to clean up a *copy* of the original (untranslated) document. You should get the same document. If not, there is a problem with the original file. If yes, there is a problem with the translated document.

To use the macro:
- Create a copy of the translated document to have a backup file.
- Open the copy in Word.
- Press Alt+F8 (or go to: Tools - Macro - Macros...), select the tw4winClean.Main macro in the list and press Run. (To quickly get to that item, press T to highlight the first macro beginning with "t" and then scroll down in the list.)
- If the document contains text boxes, click inside each text box and repeat the previous step.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clean-up error: document deleted

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »