Mobile menu

TM does not recognize some characters in Trados 7
Thread poster: Elinor Thomas

Elinor Thomas  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 11, 2005

We are translating a document from German into Spanish. Segments look perfect, but when opening the TM .txt file, it changed all the characters with marks. For example:

Anhängevorrichtung for Anhängevorrichtung in the source segment.

durchführen for durchführen in the source.

ajustó for ajustó in the target

próximo for próximo in the target and so on.

I repeat, the segments in the document itself look perfect. The problem is in the .txt file of the TM. Any clues on how to solve this?

Thanks a lot!

Elinor


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:39
English to Czech
+ ...
Unicode Oct 11, 2005

Trados 7 supports Unicode - that's what you see in the exported TM. You can also export the TM to the non-Unicode format for Trados 6.5 - just select the format you need in the Create Export File dialog box. (You have to use the old format to be able to import the TXT file to Trados 6.5 or older.)

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Elinor Thomas  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hynek, but Oct 11, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Trados 7 supports Unicode - that's what you see in the exported TM. You can also export the TM to the non-Unicode format for Trados 6.5 - just select the format you need in the Create Export File dialog box. (You have to use the old format to be able to import the TXT file to Trados 6.5 or older.)


I cant find nowhere in the Export File dialog box where to select the format. Can you help me?

Thanks,

Elinor


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:39
English to Czech
+ ...
Export format Oct 11, 2005

The format is defined in the "Save as type" list just below the file name. The options are: Translator's Workbench 7.x, Translator's Workbench 2.x-6.x and different versions of TMX.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Elinor Thomas  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Remember it's in TagEditor. Oct 11, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

The format is defined in the "Save as type" list just below the file name. The options are: Translator's Workbench 7.x, Translator's Workbench 2.x-6.x and different versions of TMX.


The only option I get in the Save bilingual as option is Bilingual Document .ttx .bif.

No other options...

Thanks


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:39
English to Czech
+ ...
Workbench Oct 11, 2005

Elinor,

You didn't mention TagEditor before, only the TM .txt file. What are you trying to do? I thought you wanted to export the TM to a .txt file and that should be done in Workbench (File - Export...).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Elinor Thomas  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Memory Export Oct 11, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Elinor,

You didn't mention TagEditor before, only the TM .txt file. What are you trying to do? I thought you wanted to export the TM to a .txt file and that should be done in Workbench (File - Export...).


Sorry, sorry, sorry. What I need is to export the TM and send the txt file to the project coordinator. I finally found where to save it as prior versions.

Thank you veeeeeeeeeeeery much for all your help, Hynek. I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Elinor


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM does not recognize some characters in Trados 7

Advanced search


Translation news related to SDL Trados





PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs