https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/37782-tm_does_not_recognize_some_characters_in_trados_7.html

TM does not recognize some characters in Trados 7
Thread poster: Elinor Thomas
Elinor Thomas
Elinor Thomas  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 11, 2005

We are translating a document from German into Spanish. Segments look perfect, but when opening the TM .txt file, it changed all the characters with marks. For example:

Anhängevorrichtung for Anhängevorrichtung in the source segment.

durchführen for durchführen in the source.

ajustó for ajustó in the target

próximo for próximo in the target and so on.

I repeat, the segments in the document itself look perfect. The p
... See more
We are translating a document from German into Spanish. Segments look perfect, but when opening the TM .txt file, it changed all the characters with marks. For example:

Anhängevorrichtung for Anhängevorrichtung in the source segment.

durchführen for durchführen in the source.

ajustó for ajustó in the target

próximo for próximo in the target and so on.

I repeat, the segments in the document itself look perfect. The problem is in the .txt file of the TM. Any clues on how to solve this?

Thanks a lot!

Elinor
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 23:02
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Unicode Oct 11, 2005

Trados 7 supports Unicode - that's what you see in the exported TM. You can also export the TM to the non-Unicode format for Trados 6.5 - just select the format you need in the Create Export File dialog box. (You have to use the old format to be able to import the TXT file to Trados 6.5 or older.)

Elinor Thomas
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hynek, but Oct 11, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Trados 7 supports Unicode - that's what you see in the exported TM. You can also export the TM to the non-Unicode format for Trados 6.5 - just select the format you need in the Create Export File dialog box. (You have to use the old format to be able to import the TXT file to Trados 6.5 or older.)

I cant find nowhere in the Export File dialog box where to select the format. Can you help me?

Thanks,

Elinor

Hynek Palatin
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Export format Oct 11, 2005

The format is defined in the "Save as type" list just below the file name. The options are: Translator's Workbench 7.x, Translator's Workbench 2.x-6.x and different versions of TMX.

Elinor Thomas
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Remember it's in TagEditor. Oct 11, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

The format is defined in the "Save as type" list just below the file name. The options are: Translator's Workbench 7.x, Translator's Workbench 2.x-6.x and different versions of TMX.

The only option I get in the Save bilingual as option is Bilingual Document .ttx .bif.

No other options...

Thanks

Hynek Palatin
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Workbench Oct 11, 2005

Elinor,

You didn't mention TagEditor before, only the TM .txt file. What are you trying to do? I thought you wanted to export the TM to a .txt file and that should be done in Workbench (File - Export...).

Elinor Thomas
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Memory Export Oct 11, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Elinor,

You didn't mention TagEditor before, only the TM .txt file. What are you trying to do? I thought you wanted to export the TM to a .txt file and that should be done in Workbench (File - Export...).

Sorry, sorry, sorry. What I need is to export the TM and send the txt file to the project coordinator. I finally found where to save it as prior versions.

Thank you veeeeeeeeeeeery much for all your help, Hynek. I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Elinor

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM does not recognize some characters in Trados 7

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »